Big Typhoon = BIG TEMPS!!!???!!!

went into my case just now to examine the situation. turns out that by trying to tighten the nuts, i had been loosening the screws coming in through the motherboard. i noticed that the heatsink was easily twisting around and clearly not on as tight as it should be. so i grudgingly disconnected everything and pulled the motherboard out of the case with the heatsink attached. i screwed in the bottom screws which were still tight enough to prevent the bolts from spinning, and gave each screw a good 8 turns or so. heatsink is on nice and tight now. put everything back in, booted up and now i'm not breaking 41C at full prime load. :)

now i'm happy!

With the Big Typhoon, as with any heavy heatskink as I am sure you are aware and has been stated earlier, the weight of the beast - if not properly snugged down - can and will 'tilt' on the surface of the CPU.

I've always *gently* tightened the screws on the top-facing side of the plate, more than the lower side, to counter the imposed weight.

I did take that into consideration, but the screws are side-to-side on this one, so I can't compensate by tightening one over the other. I'm going to try the backplate from my zalman 7700 (like David James mentioned).

edit: ace, mine is mounted in such a way that the bolt holes are horizontal from each other in the case, which means that the heatpipes go vertically. is it even possible to mount it the other way?

That's a great question, though I still haven't seen anything that says it matters either way...

went into my case just now to examine the situation. turns out that by trying to tighten the nuts, i had been loosening the screws coming in through the motherboard. i noticed that the heatsink was easily twisting around and clearly not on as tight as it should be. so i grudgingly disconnected everything and pulled the motherboard out of the case with the heatsink attached. i screwed in the bottom screws which were still tight enough to prevent the bolts from spinning, and gave each screw a good 8 turns or so. heatsink is on nice and tight now. put everything back in, booted up and now i'm not breaking 41C at full prime load. :)

now i'm happy!

I'm going to do this right now!

I didn't take into account the socket orientation. My bad.

All good - but it was a great idea. Better than "stringing" it up with fishline or something. But if that's what it taks - LOL...

I just pulled the board and put a couple more turns on those screws. I'm playing with a new Opteron 146 right now, in the spare parts rig - so I'll update later on some HOPEFULLY improved temps. Thanx for the help and input - that's why this forum rules. I remember my few days spent in "Abit purgatory" - nary a response to my many questions with my tweaky Fatality SLI board. I'm actually using my first SLI board (Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe) in my spare parts rig, as opposed to the Fatality. I had RMA'ed it after a ton of frustration...but I'm still too edgy about trying again with it. According to our forum, I have the second best stepping on this Opteron chip, so I'll see where it can go with this Asus board. I'll probably end up picking up an Ultra-D, even though I'm not using HV RAM (just some Corsair XL).

Thanx again!