Big Typhoon = BIG TEMPS!!!???!!!

I just swapped out my Zalman 9500 for my TT Big Typhoon. The Zalman is great, and I want to use it for the Opteron rig I'm gonna put together, so I broke the Big Typhoon back out. I used it on my Abit Fatality AN8-SLI, and the temps were GREAT! 32 idle, with 44 load (during Prime). Well, I noticed that it was idling at about 38, which could be okay, considering the OC I'm running (I couldn't OC the Abit board, cuz, well - it was a piece of #$&!). So I'm not sure what kind of idle I can expect on this board with that kinda OC. Anyway, I ran a superPI 1M - and it hit 54 celsius - yikes! I tried a 2M superPI - and it shut down at 60 celsius (I have it set to shutdown at that temp...never thought I'd ever hit it...). I took it back off, reapplied the AS5, and put it back on. I checked to make sure it was seated correctly, and it was fine as I suspected. I'm running an OCCT right now, with everything at stock settings, and the temps peak around 51 celsius. Any idea what's going on here?!?! The only thing I can think of - and it's pretty thin, is that the orientation of the heatpipes (horizontal screws on this board vs. vertical alignment on the Abit board) is messing with it's ability to disperse the heat. I can't find any documentation saying that it needs to be set up with the pipes running a certain way - so I'm at a loss. Any ideas or input would be great! BTW, I ran a 32M superPi at those OCed settings with the Zalman, and temps peaked at about 51 celsius.

THANX AGAIN!

I have the XP-90 installed in a medium tower...So technically the heat pipes are facing the wrong direction (sideways, not up and down) as well, but Thermaltake still says the heat pipe should work...I wonder if it will really work if you have your entire motherboard upside down...And so far it does...My temps at idle aruond around 32-33 and peak at 38-39 on full load...I'm running at a 2.5GHz overclock as well...

Are you sure the heatsink base is making good contact with the core? If it's not making FULL contact, you will experience heightened idle temperatures, as well as under load.

Test the heatsink on a piece of glass to see if it'll distribute evenly.

I have the XP-90 installed in a medium tower...So technically the heat pipes are facing the wrong direction (sideways, not up and down) as well, but Thermaltake still says the heat pipe should work...I wonder if it will really work if you have your entire motherboard upside down...And so far it does...My temps at idle aruond around 32-33 and peak at 38-39 on full load...I'm running at a 2.5GHz overclock as well...

Not sure if we're talking about the same heatsink. Your XP-90 is a Thermalright. My pipes are up and down, as opposed to the side-to-side that they were on the Abit board. I still haven't found any documentation saying how it's "supposed" to be.

Are you sure the heatsink base is making good contact with the core? If it's not making FULL contact, you will experience heightened idle temperatures, as well as under load.

Test the heatsink on a piece of glass to see if it'll distribute evenly.

Thanx for the idea with the glass. I'm pretty sure it's making solid contact, but I have to admit that it was pretty cramped working that screwdriver. I'm gonna take the whole board out, so I'll be able to see for sure, after I smear some thermal grease, and check it against a truly flat surface. Any experience with idle temps on a '55 at the OC I'm running? Like I said, I couldn't OC more than 5mhz before I would BSOD, when I had this heatsink on the Abit board. Almost makes me want to set the beast on it's face, and see if the orientation of the heat pipes makes a difference. I just find it hard to believe that other people aren't using this heatsink on a DFI board, as it's pretty popular overall.

i am using the big typhoon, and it was amazing at first. when i first got it installed, it was not going higher than 42C full load at 2.8ghz. after a lot of fidgeting inside the case and whatnot, lately it hits 50C and a little over at the same voltage and speed. i'm not sure what the change has been, but i plan on getting back in there and ensuring everything is fully tightened pretty soon. i have a feeling that since i use the foam H bracket as padding between the metal and the motherboard underside, it may have compressed a bit since first installing, which would cause the heatsink to sag a bit more. hopefully some tightening will do the trick, although i don't have any sort of socket wrench that fits the nuts so i have to tighten with a pair of small pliars... pain in the butt.

yeah thats wierd, I was having similar problems with my zalman alcu (which I've had for a long time) when I first got this board, I just used the factory mount instead of the zalman one (seemed okay at the time) but apparently its not the right measurements and my zalman was just a bit too loose, I noticed while I was fiddling with some other stuff in there and I bumped it and it shifted lol... so I slapped the stock hsf in there and (believe it or not) my temps dropped 10 degrees celcius :)... I'm getting 35 idle, 45 load now with stock hsf and cpu overclocked to 2.5 ghz @ 1.5v. PWMIC jumped alot recently (from 35C on average to 45C) but I'm pretty certain its because of the new ram I stuck in there, still waiting for my active cooling for it in the mail, heh

With the Big Typhoon, as with any heavy heatskink as I am sure you are aware and has been stated earlier, the weight of the beast - if not properly snugged down - can and will 'tilt' on the surface of the CPU.

I've always *gently* tightened the screws on the top-facing side of the plate, more than the lower side, to counter the imposed weight.

last thing i want to do is cut a hole in the side of my beautiful p180. :)

however, considering there are two 120mm exhaust fans near my BT, i'm pretty sure case temps aren't an issue for me. i may end up rigging this beast to the top of my case somehow to alleviate the stress on the motherboard as well as even the pressure on the ihs, but it will probably be tough to get perfect.

just wish i had a socket wrench for those nuts; i'm stripping them with the pliars.

edit: ace, mine is mounted in such a way that the bolt holes are horizontal from each other in the case, which means that the heatpipes go vertically. is it even possible to mount it the other way?