3 LED's - NO BOOT

Tucker see post #4 on this thread by ExRoadie......

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

have you tried a CMOS reset or applied the safe boot jumper??

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate you help guys but I have done all of the things you guys mentioned! I figured today I will pull the board out and try one more time on the test bench! After this I guess RMA is the right thing to do! :cool:

Hey guys! I got a question for you! I misplaced the original DFI chipset fan and can find it any more! I need it to do my RMA! I know that most of you replaced it with the Evercool VC-RE fan. Is anyone here willing to send me his chipset fan? I would obviously pay for it or where can I buy a replacement? :cool:

Best idea would be to bench ur setups, run it without the ram, and with (use alot of different combos in different slots, i know the ASUS A8N hates OEM branded ram maybe because of cheap manufacturing.)

Also try a different Power supply, MUCH different (has to be a 24 pin with a secondary 4 pin) pull out ur video card, and start with the basic's we know the CPU is fine, so u can leave that in.

As for u Jeffbar1, revision fix problems and mancrapturing designs, most of them are to do with slower connections, or in some cases slight bad position of components. Nothing major like different chipsets or anythin has been seen by me with newer to older revisions.and with each new revision they have the most current Bios on it. thats the main factor.

Also for the problem, borrow a friends set of ram or the ram outa another machine. Make sure its not OEM branded (major problems come in with that stuff on these board) try to get sometime u know that works. Afta that u should know whats wrong. wether it be the board or the ram. if the board, ur lucky u have it out ready for RMA :D

Hey, well I just upgraded yet again, from my DFI nf3 250B UT to an NF4 Ultra-D. I was having the SAME problems as the OP.

The system wouldn't post. As for the LEDs, as soon as I turned the system on, 4 would show, the 4th would flicker off real fast, the 3 others would still be on. Then I would get a audible BEEP. This beep lasts for 2 seconds, turns off for 2 seconds, and turns back on for 2 seconds in a continuous cycle over and over again. Well, until I turned the system off.

I consulted my book and found out what the LEDs mean. Okay, when all 4 are lit, then nothing has been tested. If the fourth goes out, then you got power needed to boot. If the third goes out, then your memory has been tested good. Since our 3rd LED didn't go out, this indicates a problem with the memory.

Now for me, the memory I KNOW runs fine from my previous system. So the problem turned out to be the slot for the memory. I had assumed, like normally, that the slot CLOSET to the CPU for memory was the slot to use. I WAS WRONG. On this board it's the slots furthest away from the CPU that start the memory banks. The moment I moved the memory, a single stick, to the furthest slot, bamm it posted. I still screwed up though because I moved the memory to the furthest slot which was the yellow slot. It should be in the furthest ORANGE slot from the CPU. Angry games posted this in his "build" of his system on the stickies. If you are installing the OS from scratch and the memory is in the furthest yellow slot, it will post but you'll get errors during the install. I was getting BSOD during install.

Remember, 3 LEDS still lit indicates an error associated with the memory test. This means either A) you have the memory in the wrong slot for booting, or B) the memory isn't getting the proper initial voltage, or C) the memory is bad. Chances of it being improper voltages are low and really only will be problematic with BH5 type memory. I have problems with my BH5 starting it in a new system due to the fact my stuff LOVES voltage and won't even post with a voltage lower then 2.8v. That's my BH5 though and since most BIOSs have the voltage for memory starting at 2.5 or 2.6, my BH5 can't boot a system. Which is why I have secondary "starter" memory for myself so I can go into the BIOS and change the voltage to 2.8 right away and get my BH5s to boot :)

Hopefully tonight, the rest of my install will go good since I just learned a few minutes ago after reading the stickied FAQ that the first slot is the furthest orange slot for the memory.

OK Gents, had enough of this . and just ordered some OCZ memory!!! :shake: We see how this is going to work out! I was able to boot up a few times today but still a lot of reset button pushing! Once again the question about the original DFI chipset fan! Anybody selling one or know where to get one? I misplaced mine when it was replaced with the Evercool and will need it in case of MB RMA! Thanks! :sweat: