Winnet Error

kup22r

Whenever I shutdown or restart my computer I get this error:

"winnet.exe failed to initialize because the windows station is shutting down"

Anybody have any idea what winnet.exe does, how to fix this, and how this may have happened?

what windows are you using? i haven't found it yet, but i'm looking. if it's wininet.exe (extra "i") then i think it has to deal with the .net framework. have you updated your computer lately?

"Page 20: Winnet.exe And Winnet32.exe Should Be Winnt.exe And Winnt32.exe

On page 20, in step 3,

Change:

"Use Winnet.exe for an installation using Windows 3.x on the source system, and use Winnet32.exe for an installation using Windows 95, 98, NT4.0..."

To:

"Use Winnt.exe for an installation using Windows 3.x on the source system, and use Winnt32.exe for an installation using Windows 95, 98, NT4.0..."

taken from m$ site here

i hope you're not using a win3.x

Edited by blippy

does it allow you to NOT restart?

what you can do is bring up the task manager, goto processes, and stop explorer. Then goto File-> new program and type explorer in.

that resets the registry.

however, if it doesn't give you the option to restart later, then just deal with it.

usually, the only reason to restart (when installing stuff) is to get it to reload the registry. And since you said you hate restarting, if you do that task manager thing, you won't have to restart. It's doing the same thing. However, if it's becuase you're updating a firewall or antivirus, i'd suggest actually restarting for that. sorry it didnt work out man. also try ending that process, the one that gives you trouble, before you restart.

do a search for that file, lemme know where it's at (maybe it's actually not a part of the OS)

EDIT:

go here man same problem you're having

Edited by blippy

dear: kup22r

I used to have the same exact error and it would ennoy me somtimes to were i wanted to format. To fix this file go in to control panel and go to add remove programs. Then scroll down entill you see an application called common files i think but it is definitaLLY COMMON SOMETHING and remove it.

This should fix your problem!!!!

the old version of common name allow to uninstall through control panel, but lately (yes i went and downloaded it just to see) they leave files hanging around. Or they'll make you download an uninstaller, it's just a pain in the .