Virtual Memory

with i guess the dual core there is a physical addy ext. So i can have a huge virtual memory. What is the optimal setting for such...?

not sure about the dual core thing you are refering too, but in general with virtual memory....

With 2 gigs, I think 512min/512max would be fine, or 1024/1024. Optimum with that much memory would be to not use one at all, since ram is much faster than your hard drive, but even when you tell it not to use one, windows still will "behind your back", so you might as well set it to 512 or 1024 if you ever get a "low virtual memory" type error. By keeping the min and max the same, helps prevent fragmenting.

thanks i know vm is slow even at 7200rpm but i can have like 10 gigs of vm now i think it was toped at 2 or 4 previously. With dual core u have extened memory addys available. so right now im running 10 gigs ...lol i doubt if any is being accesed in game play... just new to the medium end ..

So dose vm lower or higher effect game play?

If i can have 10 plus gigs should i?

thanks for the assistance.

You are mising up a lot of things here.

Any AMD64 or Em64T system, when installing a 64 bit OS, will get you around the 32 limit of 2, 3 or 4 GB virtual memory for userlevel applications.

How much you actually page (= disk i/o) is absolutely independent of that, just because you have huge area mapped doesn't mean the memory pages have to be active.

64 bit programs are larger, though, because they use 64 bit pointers, the code is prefixed for most instructions and some 32 bit integers are now 64 bit.