Win64?

DeFessler

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do rip and burn tons of DVD movies and in that application it runs away from 32 bit, no comparison at all. x64 Edition wins hands down.

Well I was wrong, Totally wrong, There is difference at all in "copying" DVDs.

Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada, Nothing! :D

DVD used: War of the Worlds with Nicole Kidman's ex-Husband in the lead.

Long movie with comments and all that extra stuff.

Tested on two rigs using WinXP Pro 32 and WinXP Pro x64 Edition.

Identical NEC ND-2510A for reading and burning. Single drive used in each rig so it was necessary to manually remove the Retail DVD and insert a blank DVD. 4X burn.

Memorex DVD+R (8x capable) were used.

Rigs were almost identical and used identical power supplies and similar Memory and settings. Information is below in sig. Antec has been upgraded to an Opteron 146 at 300x10 with 5/6 divider. CoolerMaster is a 4000+ at 250x11 1:1.

OS on IDE drive and read to another single IDE drive and then a second test was run to a RAID array. (2x74G Raptor RAID 0 on Opteron 146 rig and then 2x36G on 4000+)

Used DVD Shrink 3.2 and Nero 66.018 for rip, encode, burn process. Book Type was set to DVD-ROM. Both machines had all drives defragmented before testing. Neither machine exhibits any issues and has passed 8 hour Prime95, OCCT, and is stable in gaming. Both very fast IMO.

The WOTW disc took 1 minute to analyze. I used windows clock to time it.

x32

Encode: Start 5:55:45 Eject 6:15:50 Elapsed Time 20:05

Burning: Start 6:17:15 Eject 6:26:55 Elapsed Time 9:40

x64 Edition

Encode: Start 6:55:30 Eject 7:15:36 Elapsed Time 20:06

Burning: Start 7:16:12 Eject 7:25:48 Elapsed Time 9:30

So I test on the RAID array next. Within 5 seconds of the above times. No idea why I was even surprized at this.

Machine #2 at 250x11. Guess what, same as above within 2-3 seconds.

Dropped the speed on the 4000+ to default (2.4GHz) and ran the Encode Test again. 20 min 18 seconds.

My conclusion at this point is that it is almost entirely based on the DVD Burner used. Makes sense when I think it through as the DVD Burner speed is the weakest link here. I'm out of blank DVDs at this point so testing will have to stop for now. I am curious as to how long it will take a 16x burner like dr_bowtie's to complete the same test.

All that being said I still wonder why x64 "feels" snappier to me. Gonna move some files around and think this all through. Benches between the two see to be a teeny bit faster in x32. Vid drivers just slightly more optimized? Don't know, but interesting.

Ok .... I finished...

I did the same movie but....I used the NEC 3540A burner....

I used shrink 3.1 ( I may tru with 3.2 and use the decryper burn engine)

I was amazed at my results....This is disk 1 and I did the full disk...No modifacation...just put it in and ran it...

Analize movie 28sec

Encode movie and all features (start) 4:54:53 (finish) 5:04:15

Total time 9minutes 28 seconds

Burn with nero (auto) (start) 5:04:16 (finish) 5:09:18

total time 5 minutes 2seconds

That was with verbatim inkjet dvd-r disk...If I use 8 x's the time is double....

FYI: did DOH encode 24min 20 sec

burn 5 min 12sec

Fant4 encode 22min 8sec

burn 5min 22sec