Nvidia GeForce users! pls help me!

kaon

Hi all,

I'm using a 6600GT on DFI NF4 Ultra-D with WinXP and the current video drivers from Nvidia.

(but I think this applies regardless of which model GeForce you have or which mobo you have)

I needed brighter gamma for videos so I've tried here:

Display Properties >

Advanced >

GeForce 6600 GT >

Color Correction >

Apply color changes to: Overlay

And then the Gamma slider is greyed out.

"This option is disabled because it doesn't apply to the current edit

mode"

The only way I was able to brighten my video was to set zero hardware

acceleration (at the "Troubleshoot" tab) and then adjust regular (i.e.

non-overlay) gamma.

Is there any way around this?

Any unofficial GeForce drivers that have overlay gamma adjustment?

Any media players that have it?

I mainly use Media Player Classic to play my videos.

How can I set it to non-overlay mode?

Is there no good solution at all?

Would this be a reason to go with ATI over Nvidia?

Thanks very much!

- kaon

(edit: insert sig)

kaon: Please see the rules and create a sig with your system config in it and put your location in under your name.

When you create your sig, please be specific to what make/model video card and driver version you are using. But do not limit it to just the video card info...be detailed throughout your sig for the other equipment.

Right, done my sig.

Not tt I think it matters for this particular question...

Anyways, you guys are saying that there are unofficial drivers for Nvidia cards that allow gamma adjustment for overlay video? At Inno3d, I see things like "ForceWare 81.82 WinXP/2000"... is that what I want?

Thanks!

OK Here's a screenshot.

With Nvidia Forceware 81.84 from guru3d.

My problem is still there...

Am I the only one?

What do you guys do if your videos are too dark and your monitor is maxed out?

nvidiawtff25kc.jpg

Do you happen to have the monitor drivers installed as well?

I use a 21" CRT monitor thru the common VGA 15 pin connector. So I really don't think all these matter... but here you go:

I never installed any monitor drivers except what Win XP automatically used.

Plug and Play Monitor

ver: 5.1.2001.0,

date: 6/6/2001,

provider: Microsoft,

signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

And I'm running at 1280 x 1024, at 85Hz.

If anyone with a 6600GT (or similar GeForce) is able to adjust gamma for overlay, please let me know how. Is your slider not greyed out?

AceGoober, your sig says you run a 6800, are you on WinXP? What video driver? Do you mind going to your Display Properties > ... > Color Correction, like in my screenshot, and tell me whether your gamma slider is greyed-out when you select overlay?

Tell me I'm the only one having this problem?

TIA

(edit: clarify: I never installed any monitor drivers, but i am using 81.84 for the 6600gt)

I never installed any drivers except what Win XP automatically used.

Maybe you should install the drivers from Nvidia for the card...I can't give you an answer now as I am at work but only having the native XP drivers for your card could definitely be the problem....

For one, using drivers from guru3d is'nt gonna magicly fix a prob lmfao.

For 2, the guru3d drivers are pethetic, I hate there so called compression, though they don't ruin the drivers they make them un original for sure, and that's not cool, it's stupid really(I'm on dilaup here and I still say that I want originals).

For 3...

You are'nt looking for the overlay controls... :

Select all dude duh.

This is all I got because I don't belive in gamme adjustments.

Also I dn want to open my cpl lol, I do that and the cpl will fork over some of my settings.

Someone else can do a diff to last for ya maybe, if no one will then I will come back and try I guess.

;Color Saturation Boost

HKR,,00000001RMColorSaturationBoost, %REG_BINARY%,0a,00,00,00 ;About 1/8 of the full amount

;Sharpness Boost (Not Done Corretly From The CPL)

HKR,,00000001RMSharpen, %REG_BINARY%,06,00,00,00 ;Good Enough Fow Now

;Video IN Overlay Hue

HKR,,OverlayHue, %REG_BINARY%,00,00,00,00 ;0%

;HKR,,OverlayHue, %REG_BINARY%,b4,00,00,00 ;180%

;Overlay, Just crap I don't feal I need to deal with now, should be good to go

HKR,,OverlayMode, %REG_BINARY%,00,00,00,00 ;No Upscale, No Vertical Blit Upscale, No Temperal Filter, No Frame Offset, Blah blah blah ;)

;Overlay, Zoom, Aspect, VIVO? Control

HKR,,OverlayMode2, %REG_BINARY%,00,00,60,00 ;No Zoom, Forced Overlay Zoom, Enable VIVO? (Might Just Be TV Out)

;Overlay & Zoom Control In Dualview

HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,00,00,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Disabled

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,00,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, No Zoom

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,01,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Top Left, Zoom 1X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,f1,0f,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Top Left, Zoom 2X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,02,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Top Right, Zoom 1X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,f2,0f,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Top Right, Zoom 2X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,03,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Bottem Left, Zoom 1X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,f3,0f,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Bottem Left, Zoom 2X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,04,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Bottem Right, Zoom 1X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,f4,0f,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Bottem Right, Zoom 2X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,05,00,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Centered, Zoom 1X

;HKR,,OverlayMode3, %REG_BINARY%,01,f5,0f,00 ;Overlay In Dualview Enabled, Centered, Zoom 2X

;Video IN Overlay Saturation

HKR,,OverlaySaturation, %REG_BINARY%,64,00,00,00 ;100%

;HKR,,OverlaySaturation, %REG_BINARY%,c8,00,00,00 ;200%

Btw, my card is about the same way, seems that the gamma is low.

It's nothing you want to fix by software, it's probably a hardware prob with to much resistance.

Most of the settings on that cpl don't work correctly anyways(cpl wise they don't get setup right).

NEO, If I select "All" instead of "Overlay", the gamma slider does appear. BUT it still only affects everything except overlay.

Have you ever actually used it yourself? Did it change gamma for "all" for you?

And sorry but where do I view / edit those settings you dumped?

Fragman and e to the x, what do you guys see at that dialog? Is the gamma slider greyed when you select overlay?

Are you able to adjust overlay gamma with your video drivers?

Fragman, I tried Powerstrip but it also does not affect overlay content. Are you sure that Powerstrip works for your videos?

Sorry I did'nt get back to you very quickly.

Anyways those were driver entries that came form my own driver.

Something I have'nt relelased yet Need to finish up device id's, and a few per device settings).

You can use them using regedit as well, either by copy and pasting the name or by reg file(Reg files have a diffrent format then my driver entries)...

The location would be under:

Win2k(or modified driver, or special reg before install of driver):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesnvDevice0

Otherwise, by defualt from xp and up you get this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideoXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I dn have this location in my registry.

If you remove it just prior to installing the driver it will never show up ;).

For example you have to uninstall the device completely, then reset, after reboot do not install a driver and instead remove this registry key.

Then install the driver and it'll use the services area of the registry instead of a diffrent videoxxx key.

The gains in this are that you won't end up with a bunch of keys in the video section.

Everytime you install a driver for a video card it normally goes into that video section.

The thing is that the entries are NEVER removed, does'nt matter what steps you take on any windows dilaog, it just does'nt get removed.

So you end up with say 8 or more entries give or take you know, depending on how many times you installed a video card driver.

Another prob with the default setup is that it's allways an unknown where the exact locaiton is, because of the random #'s under the video key.

When it's under services it's easy to locate, makes for easy reg patch passing but I'm afraid this knowledge is known very little I think, I'm not sure but it seems to be the case.

With ati cards, well I've tried this very same trick, it still insists in installing under the controlvideo section.

So that's ati's fault, there trying to make it harder on tweakers, and making a mess of the registry on purpose(It's the truth, I mean no offence).

I found today that if I use the dvi out the gamma is a tad bit better I think.

Then again it is daytime but it does seem to help out doom3.

I was able to redo my monitor briteness and contrast on my nec xv15+(old 17+ ver2 blew out :( ).

It won't be untill sometime tonight where I finilize that...

It's defently not perfect though I can aggree on that : .

When I switched ports I also noticed that my color and sharpness boost were'nt working.

I found out after a while that each port is setup as a diffrent monitor, I think.

I edited/added these to my driver:

;Color Saturation Boost (Monitor 1)

HKR,,00000001RMColorSaturationBoost, %REG_BINARY%,0a,00,00,00 ;About 1/8 of the full amount

;Color Saturation Boost (Monitor 2)

HKR,,00000002RMColorSaturationBoost, %REG_BINARY%,0a,00,00,00 ;About 1/8 of the full amount

;Sharpness Boost (Not Done Corretly From The CPL) (Monitor 1)

HKR,,00000001RMSharpen, %REG_BINARY%,06,00,00,00 ;Good Enough Fow Now

;Sharpness Boost (Not Done Corretly From The CPL) (Monitor 2)

HKR,,00000002RMSharpen, %REG_BINARY%,06,00,00,00 ;Good Enough Fow Now

I'm sorry I dn about some of the others.

Since they were at default 0 or 100 or even, you get the idea, I did'nt add them because I figued they were setup right for default.

Some others I added because one of them was like 150%, and those overlay tweaks.

Also the color boost and sharpness boost, I added those because if I go into the cpl it'll revert some of my settings into something invalid(nv does this alot really).

More so if it's a quadro, the blit mode(dd, d3d and ogl really) will allways get reset.

Oh and my cpl is the same way, gamma gets greyed out on overlay only.

I dn think it was this way on my quadro4 though.

So it does'nt make sence that it's greyed out on these gf6's.

I get both sharpness boost and color boost at a very min on my video playback though.

It's because I don't use overlays though on video playback, if I have to say on an old mpeg1, I'll just use a vmroutput window with nv's decoder and bicubic filtering.

To disable overlays on both ati cards and nvidia cads you need to disable directdraw.

For the most part that'll get rid of them.

You can allways re-enable dd again after you're done watching a video.

Here:

video on is for no directdraw, for watching videos.

Video off is for certain progs that hard lock when you don't have directdraw.

This is totally up to you, I don't expect you to use them really, I'm the only person I know that does this :.

///VideoOn.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDirect3DDrivers]

;0=Direct3D Enabled

;1=Direct3D Disabled

"SoftwareOnly"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDirectDraw]

;0=AGP Texture Accelaration Enabled

;1=AGP Texture Accelaration Disabled

"DisableAGPSupport"=dword:00000000

;0=DirectDraw Enabled

;1=DirectDraw Disabled

"EmulationOnly"=dword:00000001

///

///VideoOff.reg

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDirect3DDrivers]

;0=Direct3D Enabled

;1=Direct3D Disabled

"SoftwareOnly"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftDirectDraw]

;0=AGP Texture Accelaration Enabled

;1=AGP Texture Accelaration Disabled

"DisableAGPSupport"=dword:00000000

;0=DirectDraw Enabled

;1=DirectDraw Disabled

"EmulationOnly"=dword:00000000

///

Driver wise I reccomend either forceware 81.xx drivers or quadro 67.72.

81.82 made this card finally reach my old quadro4's speed.

It was like 160-170 instead of 200 on ogl in zinc.

It's faster in both d3d and ogl, I dn about bugs because so far it's allright but I have'nt checked much.

One bug I do know of is that it'll hitch up every so often, it's a very small pause and only happens very briefly, like a hd access.

It's not my hd's or anything like that, it's this driver(no it's not overheating either).

Oh another bug is that one of the capture devices will refuse to load up with windows with this driver.

You can easyly disable it, then re-enable it and it'll work fine.

I will mess with gamma and get back later with the settings that are availible but I have'nt listed, for that one cpl page.