theoretical ?

at what point does loosening timings counter the benefit of upping memory mhz? for instance if u have memory rated at say 2-2-2-5 200 and u oc it to 225 and it runs stable at 2.5-3-3-7. it will also run stable oced to 250 at 2.5-4-3-8. how does one know what configuration will be the optimal one? is it more the relationship that this will have with the ocing of the cpu? (ie with mem at 225 say u get a better cpu clock than u can at 250 mem settings). i imagine that there isnt a cut and dry answer for this.

at what point does loosening timings counter the benefit of upping memory mhz? for instance if u have memory rated at say 2-2-2-5 200 and u oc it to 225 and it runs stable at 2.5-3-3-7. it will also run stable oced to 250 at 2.5-4-3-8. how does one know what configuration will be the optimal one? is it more the relationship that this will have with the ocing of the cpu? (ie with mem at 225 say u get a better cpu clock than u can at 250 mem settings). i imagine that there isnt a cut and dry answer for this.

The best way to do it is to benchmark using 3dmark05 or 3dmark03 from www.futuremark.com. That is how i always do it, just through trial and error. I would be glad if there was a little mathematical formula for working it out though with out all the benchmarking.

3dMark05 depends almost entirely on your VGA. There are a number of tools out there specifically for testing your memory throughput. Your best bet is to benchmark the memory at each setting and see which one works best for you. The best thing to do would probably be to run a full suite of different tests and see how they stack up to each other. Just remember that there is going to be a variance in a lot of them, so a small change may not actually be a difference at all.