NF4 ultra-D> parallel hard drive problems

in my old computer i had 2 hdd then i upgraded my system completly. i reformated hard drive on one hdd and loaded xp onto it got my comp up and running. then i shut down and pluged only in my other hard drive in a 160gig wd holding all my important files. system booted fine but i cant acess the files in the hard drive the computer says it reconized it and thats its there and enables but i cant go into it. in the my computer screen no icon to open the 2nd drive. also i did master slave on one ide cable no cable select crap anyways please help adam

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, check your cables. IDE cables are fragile and break easily. Also look for bent pins.

I don't think cable select is crap, you shouldn't have any problems with it as long as you have good cables. I've seen some computers that wouldn't work with master and slave so you had to use cable select, and then I've seen it the other way around too. But I'm not saying that your mobo has that problem, it's usually a cable problem.

I noticed that in your sig you have 4 WD hard drives, are you only having problems with one drive? Do you have them connected to the mobo or through a PCI card. If it is a PCI card then you will have to get the right driver for it. Even though Windows claims to have the best driver, it's the wrong one for PCI cards and you could lose your data if you allow it to check for errors on a drive over 137 gig. You will have to force it to install the right driver, don't let Windows choose or it won't. If you have problems with this then let us know. Tell us what card you have and we can help you find the right driver and help you install it.

I had an old drive from an old computer that had GoBack installed on it. When I put that into my new computer, Windows Explorer (My Computer) wouldn't see it. However, Disk Management could. I had to first disable it in my old computer before my new one could access it. Do you have any fancy version of System Restore installed on that drive?

hmmm im using the dfi ide cables the round wraped one that came with the board they look fine. i went into disc managment and it reconizes my 160gig hard drive and its online but i cant get in it. it also says its unallocated but theres stuff on there idk what unallocated means lol but i think it means if there stuff in it? ya im just trying to figure out at least one slave, ill mess with the other 2 drives and pci card later. so right now im running the 120gig master 160gig slave. what should i do thanks adam

Broken cables look fine because all you are seeing is the insulation and not the wires inside.

You can always try cable select on everything.

Unallocated means that it views it as not being formatted, in other words empty.

If you installed an original version of XP, prior to any sevice packs, it won't view drives over 137 gig properly. Have you updated to service pack 2 yet?

Was your old comp a Mac. I think they have a different file system. You may have to put it into an external drive case to access it then.

You can try putting it into a different computer and see if that one can access it.

Do you remember if your old comp had GoBack, my old old Gateway did, it may have locked your drive.

my computer wasent a mac it was a computer i built like 2-3 years ago but it was running windows xp. dose go back mean that thing in xp were u can go back in time like when u F somthing up? i dont think my hd had that it was strictly storage. i tried every ide cable at my house i have like 5 of them and they all wont work. the computer sees it but it wont let me acces it. i reformated my computer and now i dont have service pack 2 but before i reformated the last time i had sp2 and still no go. some dude told me to use ultimate boot cd but idk wtf he was talkin about. anyone ever heard of that? anyways please help...... thanks everyone adam

Sorry mate, it's a new one on me. The program in XP that lets you go back is called System Restore and that wouldn't lock your drive.

You say you have 4 drives, have you tried swapping one of those other drives with your 160 to see if can access those?

yes i have tried all my other drives i have a 2 80 my 160 and a 120gig with the os on it. and they all wont let me go in them. there their my comp sees them says there online but i cant access them. now when i pugged them back into my old compter which i previously had them on it dose the same thing as my new computer. so i have 2 80gig and a 160gig with really really important stuff on that i cant get into. is there any software i can buy to fix this or em i doin somthing really wrong? is there some bio thing i have disabled or anything like that? please some please help -_- thanks adam