Cleaning your NF4 Chipset fan and replacing with AS5 (or other thermal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading through the tutorial, I proceeded to complete this process on my brand new Expert board. Process was simple enough, and I was actually able to remove the plastic clips with my fingernails, much safer than pliers, of course, wearing an anti-static wristband.

I achieved a very nice spread of AS5 on my chip, however, I couldnt get the AS5 to spread that thin on the bottom of the heatsink. My AS5 was really sticky, and it actually ended up either rubbing off, or clumping up, when I tried to get it that thin. So I got it as thin as possible, and I think it will actually be OK, considering how "unfinished" the bottom of the heatsink is.

Thanks for the tutorial!

• 2 weeks later...
unless you have a damaged or alien video card, you guys need to remember that ALL video cards will clear the chipset fan as long as the chipset fan is not set too high on the chipset chip.

there are no differences in specs of video cards

period

no one makes a vid card that has pcb protruding below the pci-e insert point

ummm im not quite sure I understand...

Here's my video card pic

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp160929fh.jpg

ummm im not quite sure I understand...

Here's my video card pic

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp160929fh.jpg

there's nothing to not understand

there are no video cards where the pcb is below the pci-e slot insert point

period

there are no video cards that have pcb lower than the insert point of hte pci-e

none

zero

nada

zilch

not sure what else there is to explain about this...

yes I understand the card does not go under the PCI slot, but there are some chipset coolers which are much higher than 1.5cm (which is the space im guessing there currently is between the bottom of the mobo and my video card) so thats what I think Fenix-Dark's question was refering to since as you can see in my pic, the 7800 GTX (or any other card I guess) goes right over the chipset fan

yes I understand the card does not go under the PCI slot, but there are some chipset coolers which are much higher than 1.5cm (which is the space im guessing there currently is between the bottom of the mobo and my video card) so thats what I think Fenix-Dark's question was refering to since as you can see in my pic, the 7800 GTX (or any other card I guess) goes right over the chipset fan

well

if i say that this cooler fits on the board regardless of the video card...then that means that regardless of what video card you use, it will work...unless, as I said...the card is messed up or you did something incorrect...then it won't work...but if you did everything correctly...then every card will work (as I said already lol)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I too tried applying AS5 on my crappy stock cooler, but I was careless and managed to scratch the bottom of the heatsink... Also slightly damaged the adhesive square padding around the bottom of the hs... My temps are identical, ergo 48 C with an ambient room temperature of 28-29 degrees...

i wouldnt sweat it too much...i scratched the hell out of my stock cooler the first time because like an idiot i tried to use metal scraper to get all the hard yellow thermal junk off it lol

but

once i got it all off, cleaned like the vid/tutorial shows, and applied some Ceramique...everything was fine ;)

i still prefer the aftermarket coolers tho

• 2 weeks later...