How to determine if a cooler fits your case?

Hey guys I ask this, since I'd be buying my first cooler ever.

I've been wondering if the position of the cpu socket in the motherboard follows a standard, in a sense that when the case specifications give you a height where in they say you can fit a cooler its true.

I'm kinda paranoid if whether I can fit a thermaltake frio ock in my nzxt lexa s.

Another thing that has been boggling me is that even if I also know the specific measurements of the frio ock and the lexa s I am still having a hard time visualizing if whether the cooler might fit or not.

When I have asked a local computer parts shop if the frio ock will fit in my nzxt lexa s. He says that horizontally my frio ock will not fit. But I beg to differ since I THINK it could. I need some help though because I maybe wrong.

Here are the dimensions of the my nzxt lexa s case: (W x H x D): 196 X 480 X 528 mm with a cpu cooler clearance of 141.0mm (with fan) and 166.0mm (without fan)

And for the thermaltake frio ock: 143(L) x 136.8(W) x 158.4(H) mm

My motherboard is an asus m4a785td-v evo.

Yes it will fit as there is a standard range for CPU positioning on the board. And for high requirements for coolers to fit in standard cases.

Your problem is that if you have high ram heatsinks as they might hit the CPU cooler, for the first slots.

Yes it will fit but with only one fan in the top of the case and like bigball say you have a problem if you have high ram heatsinks.

way the OCK edition?

go for the normal frio

Thanks for the replies!! I won't be using ram heatsinks (yet) though, so it won't be a problem yet.

Why go for the normal frio? isnt the ock better?

Oh and since there is a standard for horizontal fitting of a cooler, the vertical height is the only problem at times then?

Edited by ticktock

it' s more expensive and more louder then the normal frio

and depending of the cpu you have, you'll see a 1 max 2 oC diference

search for reviews...

Ah I see, I have phenom II x4 965be.

I read some (of the very few) reviews and have noticed that too, isn't that one or two degrees C of difference a big thing in a cooling perspective?

it is a diference but not a big thing

i have a 955 be and at 3,8 ghz is 30oC idle and max 52 oc full load with room temps at 22-24 oC

at stock speeds is 4 oC above the room temps