Q9650 4.0GHz Help

moskwiz

Ok so I recently upgraded my rig to Rampage Extreme (also installed latest BIOS), 4x2GB Corsair 1333MHz XMS3 9-9-9-24, WD 128GB SSD.. and put in my old faithful q9650

I've never OC'ed it before so started from scratch.. I did get it booting to win on just a FSB increase to 444 (3994 MHz).. That didn't prove to be very stable though

I then did a little fiddling and wound up with vcore - 1,3650, DRAM Freq 1335MHz and forced DRAM latencies @ default (9-9-9-24), the rest is MB Auto

To my surprise prime95 managed to do a largeFFT test for over an hour stable @ maxtemp 72c for core#0, only when I ran winamp and did minor browsing (whilst the prime95 was running) did I get a BSOD (sysdata file included)

What's interesting to note also, is that OCCT has always failed with all OC settings I've tried (including the current values, discribed above), prime95 is stable with both small and large FFTs though, that is, until i bsod :biggrin:

Hope I'm not sounding way too noob for this forum ^^ trying my best =)

Looking forward to your ideas.

CPU-Z link http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1451559

WER-12854-0.sysdata.xml

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I haven't been able to get it to live longer than a second after Everest stability test start with vcore 1,36875

So right now I'm at FSB 444, all else is set to Auto

Here are the voltages according to Everest:

vCore- 1.38

NB- 1.40

SB- 1.06

CPU VTT- 1.31

CPU PLL- 1.69

DIMM- 1.59-1.61

DIMM VTT- 0.80

At Auto settings DRAM:FSB is 1:1, so DRAM Freq. is 889MHz so timings should be 6-6-6-16 at this freq.

--

Yesterday I fiddled around with Loadline (disabled), CPU and PCIE Spread spectrum (both disabled).. Right now none of that helped me live on 1.36875 though.. So as I said, right now all is Auto.

I''m going to try forcing DDRAM to 1335MHz.. should I manually up the DRAM v? Or should I try to get cpu stable before playing around with the RAMs?

At this current, all Auto setting OCCT fails (error detected on core #x) almost instantly after the 1min idle..

You most definitely need more voltage for 4 GHz on that CPU. Load line calibration should probably be enabled as well to avoid vdroop.

Try 1.4 vcore with the memory at 1:1 with auto timings / rated voltage. See if you can pass OCCT with that.

Running unstable is a great way to completely screw up your Windows install as well as silently corrupt any of the data on the disk.

You most definitely need more voltage for 4 GHz on that CPU. Load line calibration should probably be enabled as well to avoid vdroop.

Try 1.4 vcore with the memory at 1:1 with auto timings / rated voltage. See if you can pass OCCT with that.

Running unstable is a great way to completely screw up your Windows install as well as silently corrupt any of the data on the disk.

:withstupid:

core voltage seems to be the thing i'd tweak as the rest look like they'd be find for more

Ok, set vcore to 1.4000, Loadline Enabled, DRAM voltage to Standard (1.558..) (rated is 1.5)

3 seconds and quack quack Error detected on core #0.. The errors detected on core #x are not consistent.. any core could fail according to OCCT.

Ideas? Set DRAM Freq. to 1335? Up the vcore some more?

Thx

I did some reading on someone who had also tried OCng my cpu with 8gb RAM (apparently it's a bit more of a hassle than 4GB) and he had set NB to 1.56v, DRAM to 1.64v and upped the NB GTL Rev by 50mW.. He had done this to lower the cpu core while raising the NB..

So I went back to 1.4vcore and tried the above mentioned settings.. guess what.. I just passed OCCT 1h test :woo:

Should I try to get CPU vcore a bit lower or just leave it at that?

I'm going to force latencies to default and DRAM Freq to 1335 now.. we'll see what happens and report

I did some reading on someone who had also tried OCng my cpu with 8gb RAM (apparently it's a bit more of a hassle than 4GB) and he had set NB to 1.56v, DRAM to 1.64v and upped the NB GTL Rev by 50mW.. He had done this to lower the cpu core while raising the NB..

So I went back to 1.4vcore and tried the above mentioned settings.. guess what.. I just passed OCCT 1h test :woo:

Should I try to get CPU vcore a bit lower or just leave it at that?

I'm going to force latencies to default and DRAM Freq to 1335 now.. we'll see what happens and report

Or keep clocking but I'd prime longer than an hour

Or keep clocking but I'd prime longer than an hour

heh.. yeah, wouldn't that be something.. the problem is tho, I'm reaching kind of high temps on current settings.. OCCT test got it up to 71c and that is the safe limit for q9650 if I'm not mistaken..

The cpu cooling is kind of dodgy on my rig.. Don't know why, but can't get it to as cool as it should be (CNPS10X Extreme should be able to pull off lower temps..)

I'm going to do a largeFFT prime95 all-nighter and if stable, I'll consider going to 4.2

Anyway, thx for your help, will keep you posted =)