Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Vs. Opteron 280 Italy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only difference is they 939 opterons are OEM and the athlon is retail packaged :(

583854[/snapback]

you've been out of retail too long hehe

opterons are retail packaged too... well, they come in the same box and have the same heatsink and same warranty... and they sell in bricks and mortar shops... so i'd say they're retail...

in the past two months i've seen more opterons overclock to 3ghz on stock volts than i've ever seen sandiegos get to 3ghz regardless of volts... and of the ones that don't make it to 3ghz on stock vcore, the speed they reach on stock is around the same i see most of the time for the max sandiego oc...

of course i'm talking air here... i'm sure things are different on phase lol... i'm only switching to water today! :lol: (and i said i'd switch oh so long ago)

If I had a choice between an opteron 180 and an X2 4800+ (both socket 939), for vert simialr prices, I would get the opteron. I'm inclined to think it would be more likely to overclock better, and is otherwise the same chip.

I'd be using my own heatsink anyway, and if the chip lasts the first week in my hands, it's probbaly going to last as long as I need it to.

I'm only seeing socket 940 opterons in retail packaging.  939's seem to be OEM only (at least at this exact moment).

584991[/snapback]

here's a 146 and 148 retail...

backupa753278qa.th.jpg

only *yesterday* did i first see an oem for sale in the uk... i think the uk has only JUST started getting oem's... all the opterons up until now have been retail packaged... i think amd has started shipping them "oem only" now as they are apparently intended by amd for server-use :rolleyes:

i've seen the retail boxes *as well as* the oem cpus on american sites over the last month or so...

amd is saying that there will be no more retail athlons or semprons after the end of this month. everything will be retail. they also are saying that 940 opterons will be coming both ways, and the 939's will be OEM only for workstations (they're actually very clear about the whole workstation thing).

which of course makes me wonder... what makes the opteron the workstation chip? isn't that going against the X2 and FX's market (which with the FX-60 are even overlapping now). I don't know what thier marketing clowns are doing.