Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Vs. Opteron 280 Italy

I believe with no tweaking that they'd be VERY close if not indistinguishable, it depends if you are looking for a sloid performer such that you don't feel the need to squeeze every little MHZ out of it, or if you are looking for a chip to OC the hell out of it...

My choice would be the Athlon, it would be best for gaming as opteron's instruction codes are prolly more mathematical based, even though their gonna be so close anyway.

moreover - not like it'll probably come into play, but the 4800+ has a 3 yr warranty vs. the opti's 1 yr.

583844[/snapback]

they are the exact same chip... just read over the AMD tech notes on the 939 opterons again. the only difference is they 939 opterons are OEM and the athlon is retail packaged :( god that's sad AMD. even Intel hasn't stooped this low.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are starting out alot better than me man don't feel dumb :)

my first couple of posts was trying to find out what was wrong with my computer when my hard drive was obviously doing the western digital click click click.. yea that was my dell by the way. sooo..

Buy your own thermal paste, HS and HSF. Much better than that crappy stock cooling kit. si-120, As5 and panaflow fan.

On the chipset. Are you an nV or Ati fanboy, or don't you care. Also, what mobo (brand) do you want. Whatever it is dont get it and go with the DFI lanparty instead.

haha. if it were me buying that chip i would make sure i babied it, i would sleep with it until is went into my system.. and yes i do mean make love with the cpu.

but i also mean put a decent heatsink on it, with a good fan. maybe like an SI-120 with a 120mm Panaflo (100+ cfm) and AS5 of course.

And are you going PCI express? If so, VIA is out of the question, nForce4 or consider an ATI chipset, but the board should be manufactured by DFI!!!

Let us know what you're thinkin.

I would seriously get the fx-57. You will see better performance overall if you ask me.

The only place that you would see ANY performance increase is lets say you were gaming while burning a dvd or ripping music or somehting thats hard on your cpu.

ok, noob question, if the x2 and the dual optys are the same proccessor, then why would the opterons overclock better, or am i completely confused again?

583910[/snapback]

they don't. it's called luck of the draw. I've got X2's over 3ghz without a problem. just like the dual core opterons with the same stock speed. I've also got X2 4800's that won't make it that far, and seen opterons that won't.

just like some venice 3000+'s will go way up and others won't... it just happens.

you do realized that most chips that come off AMD's line are ALL high end. orders for 3000+ chips is up, so many have thier caches crippled (yes it happens, venice has 1mb at birth). the multiplier is locked and away they go. same with semprons. they DC mem controller is dropped to SC, cache is cut, 64 bit extensions may or may not be left enabled... 754 pin package and away it goes. some chips are lucky and stay FX-57's. it's just the way it works. this is why 1 3000+ might hit 3.6ghz and another is lucky to hit 2.2ghz