Psu For A Supermicro X6dae-g2 Mb?

Hi all!

I am building a new machine with dual Xeon (800FSB) processors and an nVIDIA SLI dual graphics card set up. I have settled on a Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard but now I have to choose the power supply unit for this monster.

From what the MB manual specifies you need a full ATX12V EPS12V PSU with 24-pin, 8-pin AND 4-pin 12V connectors (at least that is what I understood from the manual, which is not in the clearest English; if I am wrong please correct me!). To be able to run the two PCI-Express graphics cards I need a PSU with two 6-pin PCI-Express connectors. Also, as I have 4 hard drives, I would like to have plenty of spare wattage above the 450W that is suggested in the Supermicro website.

I can find a PSU with the 2 PCI-Express connectors, 24- and 4-pin 12V connectors and spare watts, but no 8-pin 12V (see Thermaltake Silent PurePower 680W W0049 at http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/w049a...w0049atx12v.htm).

I can find a PSU with 24-, 8- and 4-pin 12V connectors, spare watts but only one PCI-Express connector (see Enermax EG851AX-VH(W)FM at http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.ph...&Gid=26&Gid2=35).

I can even find a PSU that has been used for this same purpose (using a Supermicro X6DAE-G2 MB and dual PCI-Express graphics cards in the Scan 3SX Cobra), but a bit short on the wattage side (see Tagan TG480-U01).

As you can see I have made my homework but I still cannot find what I am looking for, so, does anyone know of a PSU with the needed connectors and power?

Thank you for your help.

TheShadowlord

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

I am building a new machine with dual Xeon (800FSB) processors and an nVIDIA SLI dual graphics card set up. I have settled on a Supermicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard but now I have to choose the power supply unit for this monster.

405657[/snapback]

I don't see how you are going to run an nVIDIA SLI dual graphics card set up with that board. it has 1 (x16) & 1 (x4) PCI-Express slots. i believe you have to have 2 (x16) PCI-Express slots and the board has to be able to run them in sli config.

I am not sure what you have available in your area, but here are some recommendations from newegg.

Fortron 550watt for $94

Zippy 600watt for $184.50

Enermax 550watt for $194.50

Enermax 660watt for $250.50

Zippy 700watt for $308

When shopping for a PSU, make sure that it is ATX v2.03 complaint. Basically the 24-pin + 8-pin +4-pin as you have stated before as well as the dual 12v rails.

As for the PCI Express power connector, they make adapters for them as well. Please see the picture below.

12-154-001-01.jpg

Edited by lilkev715

I know, but it has been recommended to me to use independent PCI-Express connectors; it seems some of the nVIDIA cards do suck power like there is no tomorrow and they can interfere with one another's power supply.

Question: What is that "rail" thingy you mention?

I would suggest going to PC Power & Cooling as they could probably make a custom PSU for ya. As for the dual 12v rails, overall it provides greater stability instead of one larger 12v rail. E.g. 1 12v rail that has 30 amps compared to 2 X 12v rails that have 15 amsp each.

Those adapters can work fine without any negative effects.

Edited by lilkev715

I would suggest going to PC Power & Cooling as they could probably make a custom PSU for ya. As for the dual 12v rails, overall it provides greater stability instead of one larger 12v rail. E.g. 1 12v rail that has 30 amps compared to 2 X 12v rails that have 15 amsp each.

What is a "rail" is what I am asking? Until now the only rails I have heard of are the ones you put in some Supermicro tower cases to make them 4U rackmounts.

Those adapters can work fine without any negative effects.

405767[/snapback]

They join 2 HDD connections to make one 6-pin +12V, don't they?

TheShadowlord

The rail that I am talking about is the voltage rails coming from the PSU. Sorry about the confusion.

They join 2 HDD connections to make one 6-pin +12V, don't they?

Exactly, the 6-pin PCI express connector is simply 3 12v yelow wires and 3 black ground wires.

I can recommend the Antec TruePower True550 EPS12V 550W Power Supply which I have used in two different dual Opteron systems.

I have also ordered a SilverStone SST-ST52F to try out in my next dual Opteron setup.

Both support EPS12v. The Silverstone has dual 12V rails and active PFC. The Antec does not.

Rails are the outputs. So, a PSU with separate 12V rails splits the 12V output across two separate sources instead of one.