2 replies to this topic

#1 WhenKittensATK

WhenKittensATK

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8216 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

Last year I saw this Reddit post of a custom headphone cable and decided I must have one. I also wanted a shorter 4 ft cable vs the 8 ft stock cable. I browsed some online sites that made similar ones and they were all pricey $80+. I ended up buying the parts to make it myself. It costed less than half of what the sites were charging, so that was a bonus.

The longest part was threading each wire through the paracord. I had issues with the wire snagging inside the #275 paracord, so I switched to #325 which worked better for me. I made the mistake of starting with a lot more wire than I needed for a 4 ft run, because I really didn’t know how account for how much over 4ft the braid would use. This made braiding it very difficult as I had to keep stopping to untangle it. Wiring the mini-XLR connectors were a bit difficult since you had to connect the wire to two different pins each for an unbalanced configuration, but I was probably overthinking it.

Did it improve sound quality?

No, probably not.

Does it look cool?

Hell yeah, but that might just be me. I made it, so I’m bias.

Would I recommend this project?

Yeah, it doesn’t require any hard to obtain skills. Soldering was very straight forward and braiding wasn’t difficult after you get the sequence down.

Part List:

2x Redco TA4FB - $3.50 each

10ft of Canare L-4E6S - $5

50 ft of #325 Paracord - $5

1x ViaBlue SC2 Splitter - $10

1x ViaBlue T6s 3.5mm Jack - $11.50

Total Cost: ~$38.50

jpW3nFrl.jpg

Gaming Rig || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 8GB || MSI GTX 1070 || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

Peripherals || Qnix QX2710 || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Blue Snowball ||

Audio Gear || Schiit Bitfrost 4490 || Schiit Lyr 2 || Audeze LCD-2 || Hifiman HE500 || Sennheiser HD600 || Monoprice 605500 ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 32GB || Corsair CX430 || 2x IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#2 AAJoe

AAJoe

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

Pretty neat and fun project. Did you ever consider just using something like tekflex wraps (or the generic equivalent)?

Keep your Headphones, Add a ModMic

www.ModMic.com

AA-banner-400x49-black-on-trans-copy.jpg

Antlion Audio Director of Marketing

#3 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16179 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:47 AM

I did pretty much did the same exact thing last year when I made a couple of custom audio cables myself.  I used slightly different parts, but the results were the same.

I used Mogami W2893 cabling and Ampheno jacks.  Either way this is a great do it yourself project and a lot of fun.

Thanks for the write up..

Here is the step by step "how to" guide that I used;

http://www.instructa...ement/?ALLSTEPS

10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg