Will adding 2 more exact matching sticks of ram affect my OC?

Just as the title states.

If I add 2 more exact matching sticks of what I currently have @ XMP settings in my sig rig will it do anything with my OC? Will I have to change it in any way?

Thanks!

Generally speaking the more dimms/ram sticks you have the harder it is to achieve the same overclock. Since the memory controller is on the CPU, it puts more work on the CPU. Plus the more sticks you have, the less they like to play with each other.

So yes there is a chance you will lose you overclock (or not as higher, or higher voltage to achieve the same results...etc) or the sticks just won't play nice. But at 1866/2T it shouldn't be a real problem. If you buy from Amazon or Newegg you can always return them if it doesn't work the way you want.

All motherboards / sockets since the Pentium 4. Though its only gotten worse over the years are memory speeds go up and timmings get shorter.

Like I get a higher overclock with 2x 2400 sticks than 8x 1600 sticks. My CPU has a hard time handing higher speeds and extra dimms.

2400 is relatively high, what is your cpu and mobo?

It's in his signature i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS X79 R4BE

And pretty much his advice is dead on, while sometimes it'll work 100% as well with more ram, many times you will see a drop in max OC/attainable memory speed. With that said nothing too big and certainly less of a drop than adding memory will gain you back if your workload can actually benefit from the extra ram.

2400 is relatively high, what is your cpu and mobo?

It's in his signature i7 3960X @ 4.3Ghz, ASUS X79 R4BE

And pretty much his advice is dead on, while sometimes it'll work 100% as well with more ram, many times you will see a drop in max OC/attainable memory speed. With that said nothing too big and certainly less of a drop than adding memory will gain you back if your workload can actually benefit from the extra ram.

Extra ram is for new games.

If needed, I could try to increase ram voltage first before lowering memory OC before pumping more vcore before lowering CPU OC, in that order.

Edited by Stealth3si

• 1 month later...

Generally speaking the more dimms/ram sticks you have the harder it is to achieve the same overclock. Since the memory controller is on the CPU, it puts more work on the CPU. Plus the more sticks you have, the less they like to play with each other.

So yes there is a chance you will lose you overclock (or not as higher, or higher voltage to achieve the same results...etc) or the sticks just won't play nice. But at 1866/2T it shouldn't be a real problem. If you buy from Amazon or Newegg you can always return them if it doesn't work the way you want.

Dont you agree that its weird that people that buy high clocked sticks. Just mount them, reboot set to xmp and bye bye...

As if xmp would even remotely com close Tot optimal settings including tertiary and even the rtl's and Iols.

Ik generely very easily find settings that boost dram efficiency by 40% or more... Keeping voltages in the Normale 24/7 use range...

0252055d185829bff6f1ed47e125a14b.jpg

6840de29a1cfb714db517ac08ce50660.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Messing with sub timing parameters can be helpful in certain cases, however, there's generally not much performance improvement there and it's incredibly easy to end up with an unstable system.

Don't agree.. Tweaking an XMP able kit is still selected from a large number of sticks did or dit not get to higher binning plane. But binning still leaves room Voor bad,, average, great and golden one.

Since XMP only changes very little settings (say 6 primary timings) than you add vDimm and your done?

The enormous amount of settings it could have also set must you give some hint. Either nut jobs put it all for page filling

Or by jolly it could also mean that for those who want even more capacity.. It is for the taking..

I can bring fully backed up by empirical research, and many hiscores in overclocking competitions are all findable @hwbot.org

Example, motherboard cpu gpu 4xdram. User is doing heavy 3D designing on the Unreal Engine. That where a you always find thee weakest part in your system. Dram was 2400 c9, XMP slapped in. Done. Rendering took 48 minutes. Went diving in with windows Sys-internals. Some more looks. Bottleneck dram couldn't keep up with cpu, therefore cpu cache and there for dram where Nog getting continues flow.

Fixed the problem Bij OC-ing de Core and the cache but most by squeezing the best out of them

Remark: (instability in a system = overclocking failed) Do more testing.

And ohh the rendering of previous render task dropped to 28 minutes. Memory bandwith on dram increased :

Read Speed 86000mbps (WAS 62500)

Write Speed 79981mbps (was 59000

Copy 82000mbps (was 70000)

Latency (round trip iol) 47,1.

Time invested 5 hrs. Up and running for > 24 Months

Time is seen as something large and bulky but those systems crunch numbers where data rate from hdd/sss/dram/mobo/cpu/gpu. Also interfere.. Increased level 3 cache. Read speed went from 1400 Gigabyte PerSecond up to 2400... Try imagining that.

Fairly sure that dram tuning might have a future lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

I used to work at Micron in the DRAM testing/binning department. $100 says I could make your system crash if you've mucked with the sub-timings extensively.

I do HPC as my day job, in memory latency/bandwidth limited applications. If there was a 50% performance boost anywhere that was actually stable, we'd be doing it.