overclock question 5930k/R5E

Hey all so i had my rig for about 4/5 months. I had it overclocked at 4.4ghz at 1.28 VID. Everything was fine passed 24 hrs prime95, IBT aida stress test. Was working beautifully , then all of a sudden like 4 days ago. I was getting bsods gaming. I messed with everything trying to get it stable. Long story short had to increase vid to 1.3 volts. Before i was able to hit 4.6 at that voltage but wasnt comfortable 24/7 at that. Now i got no choice in order to stay at 4.4 i need 1.3. SO... Is the chip degraded? Temps were fine 30-35 idle, 45-50 full load. It never stayed at full load either. Im just curious why all of a sudden i need a higher voltage. Thanks every1.

It could be degradation, but i think that would be too fast for it to degrade already so soon.

I dont know much about degredation of chips but it never overheated (always cool) and it voltage never went above 1.287 for 4.4ghz. I did some testing today, i used to be able to hit 4.6ghz with 1.3 volts, i set it up again ran aida boom 1 min in crash. That didnt happen when i first got it in april. My only conclusion is it degraded.

Edited by unst0ppabler0c

The next thing that comes to mind is that you were just lucky to run it at those settings, maybe these were the settings you needed to use all along.

Most likely not degradation. Not enough info to know for sure. I'm still rolling my 3930K after what, 4 years? 4.6GHz all day, everyday, 24/7, at 1.360V's.

Yeah, i thought it would be strange to have degradation so fast as this, but then again, not every chip is the same.

The next thing that comes to mind is that you were just lucky to run it at those settings, maybe these were the settings you needed to use all along.

Most likely not degradation. Not enough info to know for sure. I'm still rolling my 3930K after what, 4 years? 4.6GHz all day, everyday, 24/7, at 1.360V's.

Yeah, i thought it would be strange to have degradation so fast as this, but then again, not every chip is the same.

If it hasnt degraded, has to be i was never fully stable to begin with. Good buddy of mine, been overclocking since pentium 4 told me that i was lucky it didnt bsod before that. He said its impossible to have degraded that fast. Has to be i wasnt 100% stable to begin with. Sucks i swear, this is my 4th chip e8500,q9550,3770k,5930k. Only the 8500 was a "good" overclocking chip. Maybe it just me but i never get a "great" overclocking chip. 

If it hasnt degraded, has to be i was never fully stable to begin with. Good buddy of mine, been overclocking since pentium 4 told me that i was lucky it didnt bsod before that. He said its impossible to have degraded that fast. Has to be i wasnt 100% stable to begin with. Sucks i swear, this is my 4th chip e8500,q9550,3770k,5930k. Only the 8500 was a "good" overclocking chip. Maybe it just me but i never get a "great" overclocking chip. 

It really depends on the motherboard too.

Overclocking is a bonus, not a standard feature.

And everyone has a different view on "good" overclocks, one might say 500MHz is a good OC, but i wouldn't be happy with that for example.