ASUS RT-AC87U and Intel 7260.HMWG.R WiFi card

El_Capitan

I just thought I'd share my test results:

I upgraded my router to the ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400, and decided to upgrade by Dell Inspiron 15R Notebook (Inspiron 7520) from the Intel Centrino Wireless 2230 with the Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R WiFi.

Test Setup:

• I setup up a 4GB RAMDisk on my laptop, along with two of my other computers that have CAT6 cables connected directly to the router.
  • I used a batch file that transferred from a RAMDisk folder to another RAMDisk folder on a different computer on the network using EMCopy.
  • I created a log of the transfers that showed the elapsed time of the transfer.
  • The wi-fi tests were done at a distance of 20 feet of open space.
  • The file transferred was a single 3,608,574 KB image file (.ISO).

I won't bore you with the details, just feel free to look up anything I've mentioned if you're interested (or ask questions).

Test Results:

Transferring to another computer

Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn (2.4GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 10, secs: 44

Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R WiFi (2.4GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 10, secs: 19

Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R WiFi (5GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 01, secs: 44

LAN (Cat6) = Elapsed time: secs: 46

Transferring from another computer

Intel Centrino Wireless 2230, 2x2 bgn (2.4GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 08, secs: 52

Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R WiFi (2.4GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 06, secs: 47

Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R WiFi (5GHz) = Elapsed time: mins: 01, secs: 38

LAN (Cat6) = Elapsed time: secs: 39

Conclusion for the WiFi card:

If you have a router that doesn't have a 5GHz band, you're not going to see much of an improvement. If you do, then this little baby absolutely flies! It's about a minute slower than transferring files over LAN. Now that's pretty impressive!

Conclusion for the router:

There are plenty of good reviews out there with their own test results already, so I won't go into those details. Setup is somewhat easy, but probably not very intuitive if you don't know what you're doing. I've gotten my PPTP VPN setup with a dynamic dns and my home server. I am having FTP trouble at the moment, but I'm sure I'll figure it out, if not, I'll use the router's native FTP server, if I have to.

:O that is the freakiest thing I ever saw...I'm currently bidding on a 7260 AC card...to replace my Intel 2230 card... in MY 7520 Dell 15R... I'm at a loss for words right now. :O

Lol, that is a little freaky.