I Know This Is Whats Wrong...

GmAz

Ok, I have an ASUS a7n8x deluxe mobo. When i turn on the power, and nothing happens but fans spinning, that is a dead bios right? Yes, I felt like putting my comp 2 mhz faster in my fsb (193 to 195). Yes, I think i fried my bios chip. Nothing happens, however, when I take the CPU out of the socket, i get the audio warning that i have no CPU installed. Is there a place where i can buy a new bios chip, or do i have to send my mobo all teh way to Kentucky?

Before you chuck the motherboard, clear the CMOS first. If the BIOS was fried, you would't get the error beep, as the BIOS wouldn't be checking if there was a CPU. What this means is your CPU will not do 195. You found the limit, that's all.

I have cleared the cmos. Took battery out, unplugged, moved the jumper, let it sit for liek 1 minute. Nothing. I thought it was weird also that it posted there was no CPU installed. and no, it doesnt beep anymore. it did that before and now does nothing. believe me, i am not gonna chuck the mobo. its going to get sent in for repair or replacement. its less than 6 months old.

Edited by GmAz

please listen on this....RMA your board, when the new one comes BEFORE you even plug it in, BUY A NEW BIOS BATTERY!!!! THAT is the reason the A7N8X's fail....NOT ENOUGH BATTERY POWER!!!

Go to your local radio shack...tell the guy you need a 3V computer BIOS battery....he *shouldangit know what you are talking about. Any name brand 3V will do (mine has a Sony) pop it in, and you shouldn't have anymore problems with your BIOS. They cost like $2 and can save you a fortune (fried board), and a hassle (RMA process) in the future. After I RMA'd my first board, I learned my lesson...since then, mine has been running great, no matter how many chnages i make.

Thanks ya'll, but why would the battery be the problem. I mean, if the cmos clears cause of no juice ok, but why would it get fried. Also, I will try to find a bios chip first. I figure they cant be too expensive and would be cheaper and faster than the shipping of the mobo. The thing i still dont get is how i get it to tell me i dont ahve a cpu installed when i take it out. is the voice from somewhere else other than the bios?

Edited by GmAz

The thing i still dont get is how i get it to tell me i dont ahve a cpu installed when i take it out. is the voice from somewhere else other than the bios?

That Im not sure of either, my Abit has fried bios in it right now so I will play with it and see what it does when I dont put a CPU in it. But I found my bios chip online for 16 bucks and the tool to remove the chip for 5 bucks.

That Im not sure of either, my Abit has fried bios in it right now so I will play with it and see what it does when I dont put a CPU in it. But I found my bios chip online for 16 bucks and the tool to remove the chip for 5 bucks.

Tool? I know for the Asus A7n8x, you don't need a tool. The bios chip sits in a socket. I took a very slender screwdriver and inserted it into one corner, and pressed down to prop it up a little. Then repeated in the opposite corner. I went back and forth until it popped right out. Sent it to Asus, and they re-flashed it for free (i just had to pay $5 shipping). They'll sell you replacement chips for $15 i think if you want.

I dunno, when I was looking around for my bios chip they were also selling a tool to remove it. Im sure you are able to do it without the tool, but then again they try making tools for everything eventhough it can be done with something else.

well before wasting your money, take a look at your mobo and see if the chip is sitting in the socket. if it is, even a paperclip works (straightened of course). I started with a paperclip but switched to a screwdriver because i had an eyeglasses screwdriver nearby and it's sturdier.