Fogel

Ok I seriously need to finish up the first game before this releases :woot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcUz5Vo6iw

By the way, the first game plays like a bunch of games mashed up together:

- God of War and Devil May Cry - for combat

- Uncharted - for platforming

- Tomb Raider - puzzle solving in ancient ruins

- Shadow of the Colossus - huge bosses

But the game doesn't feel like you are playing re-skinned game in the castlevania universe. They did a really good job mix and matching different gameplay elements to create their own style. I'm a little past the GoW and DMC style of combat so the other gameplay elements help keep it fresh.

I need to finish the first as well, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to watch the trailer last night on GameTrailers TV. :lol:

Sadly its a HUGE spoiler! Oh well :lol:

It actually makes me want to complete the first game even more now.

Sadly its a HUGE spoiler! Oh well :lol:

It actually makes me want to complete the first game even more now.

Agreed. I always kind of figured that's what would happen and well, it does. :lol:

So I played the first LoS game this weekend and forgot how much fun this game is. Definitely get a kick out of hearing Patrick Stewart's narration. I also forgot just how beautiful this game is. Uncharted always gets the nod for best looking PS3 game and as much as I enjoy the Uncharted series I would give the nod to Castlevania: LoS. While not the best game out there, I don't think there are too many games I would put above LoS at this time. Still haven't finished it but it is a pretty solid game.

Not without imperfection though, some of my complaints I would love to see fixed in the second game:

•  
  • Neutral Orb collection - it is too slow to initiate in combat
  • Camera Angles sucks
  • No ability to manually control the camera sucks
  • Some of the time events aren't straight forward which leads to unnecesary confusion in fights

• 1 year later...

Necroing this because the demo (~2GB) for the first game is now available on Steam.

Game played very smooth and looks great. I did immediately remap a lot of bindings though, as the default keys are keyboard-only! But anything can be remapped to the mouse just fine and all the in-game prompts show your remapped keys, so kudos for a good port job! (I hate games where the prompts don't change and then you have to remember what you changed things to)

The only negative is that the demo is super short...like less than 30 minutes! Still worth giving it a go.

My remappings:

Base Attack: LMB

Block/Dodge: RMB

Area Attack: ThumbMB

Jump: Space

Secondary Weapon: LShift

Use/Grip: E

...and then whatever magic (light or dark, I don't remember) was assigned to E by default I just changed to Z. That aspect isn't used in the demo, so don't know if I'd keep it like that or not.

I don't know if that's best, but it made the most sense to me and I had no problem with the combat.

The only thing that bugged me (nothing to do with the port) was the fixed camera, which made it hard to see enemies from the bottom, like Fogel said. I guess that's why they've addressed that in the sequel.

I did basically the same remapping, though I had Secondary Weapon set to my second thumb mouse button.

Fixed camera angles always take getting use to, and yup, I disliked not knowing if there were any monsters below the screen. Just attacking randomly worked pretty well to discover any though, lol.

Not entirely sure if I'll pick it up on launch day, but definitely will during a sale if I don't beforehand.

Ok I seriously need to finish up the first game before this releases :woot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcUz5Vo6iw

By the way, the first game plays like a bunch of games mashed up together:

- God of War and Devil May Cry - for combat

- Uncharted - for platforming

- Tomb Raider - puzzle solving in ancient ruins

- Shadow of the Colossus - huge bosses

But the game doesn't feel like you are playing re-skinned game in the castlevania universe. They did a really good job mix and matching different gameplay elements to create their own style. I'm a little past the GoW and DMC style of combat so the other gameplay elements help keep it fresh.

This game looks rad.  I am seeing this game as a much more stylized version of Castlevania then it's 2D precessor.

The game has that El Shiddai and GoW feel to it, just wanting to know where the 'Whip' is.

Edited by GreatWhiteBoy

• 2 weeks later...