BSEL mod

battery

let me give some history on my current pc...

i was running a 3000+ venice on a msi nf4 plat with g.skill LE, sold that combo rma'd the memory and got 2x1gb HZ. then i went on a budget and got an e4300 and an asrock 775dual-vsta that i ran with my ddr and my agp 9800 pro. then my vid card died and the css team i played for at the time sent me a pci-e 6600gt that died after about 3-4 months. so i went back to an old fx5200 pci i had laying around until i bought the 7900 gs i have now. during that time my buddy traded my some crucial ballistix ddr2 for my HZ's.

now i had been running 270x9 on the via chipset and i wanted more performance. so i went out and, keeping with the budget theme, bought a biostar g31 m7-te. i can only change a handful of options...fsb, pci-e freq, vcore, memory divider, and some basic memory timings. no strap, no multiplier, not even a vdimm. i hit the wall at 290x9. i wanted more, this chipset was capable of more. so i called up my old boss over at ATI and got a free conductive pen. BSEL modded the e4300 to a 1066 strap. now im posting this thread at 333x9, stock volts, ddr2-1000 5-5-5-18 1.8v. i know i still have room to go. future mods include 1333 strap, nb volt mod, vdimm volt mod. see attachment for bsel mod.

post-3552-1237418764_thumb.jpg

Edited by battery

well, the pins are located on the motherboard, but yes. the BSEL pad is traced to a VTT pad changing the signal from 0 to 1. so when the motherboard ask the processor "hey buddy, what strap do you need?" the processor goes "gimmie some of that 1066 strap lovin'." the 1066 and 1333 strap are much looser on their latencies, which is what allowed me to go over the historical allendale wall.

Edited by battery

yea, all i need now is more nb voltage for some more fsb goodness. wish i could lower the multiplier. no way to know if the processor or the chipset is holding me back at this point.

I have seen this mod before...

But anyhow nice job and thanks for posting it...

EDIT: you might want to head over to rebelshaven.com and see if they have a modded bios for your board...

that is one of Biostars official forums and the owner mods BIOSs to unlock hidden features...if there is voltage options available he'll get them for you...

I use the modded BIOSs on ALL of my Biostar boards...especially the overclocking boards..

6) And if you bought the cheaper non-OC neutered version just to save $5-$10, don't expect me to generate mod BIOS that will have your board perform like the full-up board! Why on earth would anyone buy the neutered version when you know the OC options are limited?

It would be more cost effective for me to give folks $5-$10 cash, rather then me spend 10-30 hours trying to make the neutered BIOS perform like a full-up motherboard!!!!!!!!!! Makes no sense! If you Overclock, buy a Overclocking Motherboard.

good news is they still provide a ton of information on how to mod a BIOS. so why he maybe too lazy to do it himself, i'm not. and the 5-10 buck things is kind of off by about 50-100 dollars.