Killing doubt about Case!

Hello mates!

I´ve always read the overclockers club reviews and the topics here in the forum, but until now I was only a reader and not a user of the community! I decided to register because I´m encountering difficulties to decide between two Cases to replace my old one, in which i have my i7 rig. The latter has an awful Air Flow and is engendering some temperature problems. One may say that these two cases I´m about to mention can´t be compared, because they are from "different classes", if I´m not mistaken. However, I shall explain after I introduce them:

CM 690 II Advanced

http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] ct_id=6638

Elite 430 Black

http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] ct_id=6654

First off, I live in Brazil, therefore, I will present the prices only by "brazilian bucks", not very concerned about exchanging rates. What is really important is the delta variation between the prices.

CM 690 II Advanced - 280 bucks

Elite 430 Black - 144 bucks

Considering that the 430 Black just comes with 1x120mm Fan, I would need to buy, at least, more 2 fans, one 140mm to put on the front and using the 120mm that comes in that position on the rear, and one 120mm to put on the top. I will get NZXT FN 120RB and NZXT FN 140RB. I know that there are better ones out there, but lets keep it simple for the sake of illustration. So, the price of Elite 430 Black + 2 Fans would be 192 bucks.

I´m not a overclocker (can´t be with the stock cooling and my old case), but I was also thinking about getting a new cpu cooler, due to the temperatures I´m getting lately. After searching the forums I decided to go with the Hyper 212 Plus, which costs 94 bucks. Doing some math, we can get to the conclusion that:

$$ Elite 430 Black + 2 Fans + Hyper 212 Plus ~= $$ CM 690 II Advanced (I meant approximately equal with the ~= thing, lol)

If I buy the 690II Adv plus the Hyper 212+ I would spend 374 bucks!!

The specs of these 2 cases are both good. I am wondering what I would loose chosing the Elite 430 over the 690II Adv, and if these differences can justify the extra money! I really taking into account the price and what I can get with the same money I would spend with the CM 690II.

But my fear is that I´m not getting a proper (mainly the Air Flow aspect) case for my rig, and for a future update of it.

What you guys think? This is really killing me!

My rig:

I7 920 stock

Asus P6T

3gb DDR3 1333Mhz Corsairs XMS3

Xfx Hd4870 1gb

Corsair TX 650W

500gb Seagate

Thanks in advance!

Edited by skullmetal

As long as you have the fans, you don't need to worry about airflow. I'd stick with the more expensive case, as you'll upgrade cases less of almost all your computer components. Usually I'd say save the money, but if you're getting the Hyper 212+, it's a tall CPU cooler. There's a chance it not fit as well with the Elite 430 case. Plus, you may need more room in the case when you upgrade to a newer video card... they have been getting longer.

I run the Coolermaster ATCS 840. Right now it can be had for around $200 Shipped.

Has 2x 230mm Fans Up Top

1x 120mm Fan in Back

and 1x 230mm Fan in front.

The cooling is great.. The case is Huge.. Best of all the case is Very Sexy!

Here is a link to an OCC Review of it.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_atsc840/

I run the Coolermaster ATCS 840. Right now it can be had for around $200 Shipped.

Has 2x 230mm Fans Up Top

1x 120mm Fan in Back

and 1x 230mm Fan in front.

The cooling is great.. The case is Huge.. Best of all the case is Very Sexy!

Here is a link to an OCC Review of it.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_atsc840/

The OP lives in Brazil, and judging from his costs, its about 3 local dollars to 1 USD so ATCS 840 likely expensive in Brazil. (great case though)

Skull, the CM 430 is a nice basic case. The 690 II is a much better case though. Its larger and in particular wider so you can fit taller CPU coolers, can have up to ten fans for increased airflow, has added features like a sata dock etc, better cable management.

In my opinion its well worth the extra.

Edited by dihartnell

Thanks for those who have answered!

dihartnell

As a matter of fact, U$1,00 is R$1,73 , which is the local money, called Reais. The exchange rate is not the stumbling block, the problem is the quatity os taxes we have to pay on imported products!

I see the point of view of you guys.

But, do you really think that the future vgas will be longer? I mean, 27cm is already a freakin lot! Theoretically, things should get shorter, hahahha!

Regarding the Hyper 212+, I did some google, and I found that it will fit inside the 430 Elite.

Anyway, if I get the 690 II ADV, I would probably wait one or two months (if not more) to get the Hyper 212+. Am I still getting an improvement regarding temperatures?

Edited by skullmetal

Have you looked into the HAF 932 cases? (If AMD edition on sale also buy a new left side panel from Cool Master AMD edition does not have side 200 mm fan). Also for a cpu cooler I would recommend the Coolit 120. Even if you do not plan on overclocking yet.

JP

Thanks for those who have answered!

dihartnell

As a matter of fact, U$1,00 is R$1,73 , which is the local money, called Reais. The exchange rate is not the stumbling block, the problem is the quatity os taxes we have to pay on imported products!

Yeah taxes suck. In NZ things are way more expensive here as well even after the exchange rate, because of freight, Goods and services taxes, import duties etc.

As an example of extra airflows benefits, my CM Storm sniper case has a fan controller built in. The High setting, cools CPU , GPU and even HDDs between 3-4 degrees over the low settings. A decent case with lots of airflow should definitely help out with you, even without the hyper 212 plus.

Hey mates!

So... I ended up buying the CM 690 II Advanced :P

This thing is a monster compared to my old case! And, wow, its quiet!

I had some 3~4ºC drop in Idle. Haven´t tested with load yet, tomorrow I´m doing it!

When I have time, I´ll take some pictures and upload , so you guys can see how good is the cable management (yeah, I wish)

Thanks for the advices mates! They were of great help!

Edited by skullmetal