8800GT vs. 8800GTS

mattwalter85

which one do you think will outperform the other??? 512mem vs 640??? im votin for the 8800GT but thats just my own opinion. what do you all think? they're both priced about the same

which one do you think will outperform the other??? 512mem vs 640??? im votin for the 8800GT but thats just my own opinion. what do you all think? they're both priced about the same

8800GT(in 99.999% of the games out there)...haven't we said that like a million time already in the past week in every other video card related thread? Well, just in case you missed it, there's your answer.

Say what now?

im comparing the 512mb 8800GT that was just released to the 640mb 8800GTS tahts been out for a while now...both EVGA cards specs on 8800GT is 700mhz core/2000mhz mem/ 8800GTS is 575 core and 1700 mem...... both are priced around 300.00. the only big difference is the 8800GT is pci-e 2.0 compatible

im comparing the 512mb 8800GT that was just released to the 640mb 8800GTS tahts been out for a while now...both EVGA cards specs on 8800GT is 700mhz core/2000mhz mem/ 8800GTS is 575 core and 1700 mem...... both are priced around 300.00. the only big difference is the 8800GT is pci-e 2.0 compatible

The other big difference is that the 8800GT has more stream processors open(112 to the GTS' 96) and has a much higher(~30-40%) fillrate, on paper at least. The 512 8800GT beats or meets the GTS 640 in basically every game out there. Can't remember what the one except in all the reviews I've seen was. I think it may have been COH but even then it was only like a 3 or so FPS difference in favor of the GTS 640 in that one game.

the only bad things about the 8800GT are:

1) Availability in the UK is a joke

2) The stock cooler is loud because it's single slot

3) Full coverage blocks from previous cards (8800gts, 8800gtx, 7900gt, etc) don't fit the card

So because of 1 and 3, I went with another 8800GTS 640 and DD NV88-GTS block :) That's because of what I've already got...

so is the bit rate that's also different.. while 88gt has only got 256 bit...

lol, it's not the bit rate, it's the bus width(though if you worded it correctly you could put it like that). Surprisingly enough it doesn't have that big of an impact, at least not in any benchmark/test I've seen.

Edited by iKillSteal

I'm working on "stepping up/down" from my EVGA 8800GTS 320MB cards to a pair of 8800GT 512MB cards.

The preview article on Toms Hardware shows the 8800GT scoring significantly higher in most (if not all) tests. The in addition to the GT having faster core/memory speeds and more stream processors, i'm also "upgrading" because i want the extra memory. :)

I should have them sometime next week (i'll probably have to ship the cards on Monday and i'll probably get the replacement 8800GT cards on Thursday or Friday...) Fortunately i live within 30 miles of EVGA so the turnaround time will be really fast. :D

Morning all you OCers out there.

Well I just installed my new 8800GT 512mb SSC that can in yesterday afternoon. I haven't tried to push it yet, but so far at stock setup this thing is pretty sweet. :thumbs-up:

I upgraded from an 8600GT that wasn't doing too bad, but the difference is certainly easy to see so far. I just ran UT3 and the look was awesome. It should be interesting to run Crysis and COD4 and see how they look with it at stock before I play around with the card.

I'll try to post some info later (well if I can stop playing the games long enough :blink: ).