875P-T with a Big Typhoon

Has anyone installed a Big Typhoon onto an 875P-T board yet? I have one on the way :nod: and from what I've measured, it seems it will fit. I'm going to see how far the 3D rocket pro can fly...LOL, damn thing won't even keep my P4 550 from throttling as soon as it hits a 100% load. Who knows, I may have other issues too, :rolleyes: I guess I'll find out.

Any advice would be helpful

Got my Big Typhoon yesterday. OMG I've never seen such a crappy finish on HSF before :mad: . It wasn't even flat. It felt like someone actually tried to lap it with piece of 100 grit in the palm of their hand. So, I spent about 6 hours today flattening and lapping this thing, needless to say my arms are killing me. I have before and after pics but don't know how to post them :confused: .

I'm not going to be able to install this puppy until this weekend. I'll post some before and after temps and throttle meters.

Someone going to tell me how to post pics. thanks

I was going to post pics, but they are all too big, oh well

Anyway I lapped the HSF and my CPU both to a mirror finish and super flat. Used a granite surface plate calibrated flat within .0002".

Points to touch up on:

1. was using a 3d rocket pro cpu cooler

2. running 6 case fans 2x80 front, 2x80 rear, 1x120 side, 1x80 top.

3. no a/c rooms stays around 80°-85° f.

4. Load temps around 70+ c. and cpu would throttle as soon as 100% load cutting my speed in half.

5. very noisey computer

Ok, now we have:

1. using Tt Big Typhoon

2. disconnected 120 side fan (the loudest one)

3. still no a/c rooms stays around 80°-85° f.

4. Load temp running prime95 and folding @home for 45 mins....49° c. NO THROTTLING.

5. whisper quiet computer

I was floored by the performance of this thing dropped my temps 20+°

I don't mean for this to sound like a review but if anyone was wondering if this fit the 875P-T board, yes it does and it works like a champ. I don't OC mainly because I can't afford to replace parts it I burn them up, but I sure it wouldn't be a problem with this cooler.

By the way, MBM5 is running right now and my idle temp is 33° and also according to MBM5, it's cooler in the case than it is my the room :confused:

Wow, those are great results. I know what its like to be in a crappy cooled room, let alone non cooled at all.

Thats interesting about the surface of the laptop... Most people dont know the fine art of lapping heatsinks and if someone didnt they could have a damaged processor in seconds...

Glad to hear its working great for your and you CPU is a little cooler than you are right now :-P

Here are screenshots of my temps.

The idle temp is at desktop for 40 mins. (36°)

The load temp is running prime95 and folding@home for about 40 mins.(51°)

Keep in mind, I disconnected the 120mm side case fan and the other 5 80mm case fans are running on low, my rig is so quiet i can't even hear it.

So I get to tinkering with some OC'ing.

mem is set 2.5,3,3,6 @2.8v

[email protected]

left multi at 17x

Still have a stock cooling on mobo, stock NB sink, no SB sink, no mosfets sinks (did I spell mosfets right?).

I can run prime95 stable at 229fsb

at 230fsb pc reboots about 5 or 10 mins into prime95, but cpu temp only at 51° - i'm guessing theres a heat problem somewhere besides cpu. please correct me if i'm wrong.

also, what is the best way to check for stability?