Just need some help

HI everyone, I just need some help troubleshooting what the heck is going on with my new computer. This has been by first build and I think I did a decent job and have learned tons but am still having a few issues that are annoying me. First, here is my system:

Silverstone 650W PSU

LP UT NF4 SLI-DR mobo

BFG 6800 GTOC 256mb pci-ex Video Card

2 gigs of OCZ 3-3-3-8 400mhz

CM STC-101 case

WD Raptor 74GB 10000rpm HDD

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Sound Card

AMD 64 3500+ Venice CPU

I am experiencing random crashes during boot up, installation of programs and while playing games. Sometimes I can play a game for hours with no probs and then sometimes it crashes after 10 seconds after windows xp loads repeatedly. I checked my ram and cpu with windows diagnostics tool and they seemed to be running fine. I benchmarked my hdd yesterday and nothing looked strange in the results. I am running the original BIOS version that came with the board and haven't upgraded yet(could this be the culprit)?? My graphics card is also running over 60 degrees celsius under load(is this normal for my card)? Also, I dont currently have a 3.5" floppy drive installed; can I place the the newest BIOS version on a cd-rw disk and just make an ISO image of it and boot from that after I change boot order in BIOS?? I know I need to update BIOS but have a hard time believing that the version that came with my board would be responsible for these random crashes. I am a civil engineer and I have done 3 weeks of troubleshooting on my own and simply can't read any more because my head hurts so I have resorted to posting here. Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt Rodgers

Colorado

Rodge,

Please create a signature. See link in my signature. Also see link in my signature for link to nf4's bios. There is a iso version you can image to cd. Instructions are included.

A few questions. Have you run memtest? did you install ntune, nvidia ide drivers? Do you know which stop errors (bsod) you are getting?

Yes I did a memtest, have installed ntune and have installed the correct drivers for the video card. I just had an idea and wondered if this could be causing my computer to shutdown; my shutdown temperature in the BIOS is set @ 60 degrees celsius and my gpu temp is about 58 degrees at idle and gets above that under load. Does this monitor setting watch the gpu as well as the cpu or just the cpu solely? Thanks for the link to those BIOS. I will write down the bsod error next time I can obtain it. Thanks pal

Hey Steve, just flashed the n4d623-3 BIOS PCB Revision A to my board so we'll see how it goes...It may not solve the problem but I will keep you up-to-date if I get a bsod listing for ya. Thanks for your help buddy. Do you think I should give my RAM a little more juice (I am currently giving my 2X1 gig sticks 2.6 V) because I've read here that this could increase stability?? Thanks