New to AMD 64 and DFI, Some Questions

Specs on my new rig are in my sig. I just came from an Intel system which was about as fast as my current Athlon 64 system, but wanted to go back to AMD since I had great luck with my Athlon Thunderbird system back in the day.

I have some questions regarding the board that are kind of confusing me. Right now I have my 2x40GB HDD's on SATA ports 1 and 2, and my 250GB WD drive on SATA port 3. It seems that for the Windows XP install, it detects my 250GB drive as my primary HDD and as a default wants to install Windows to it. I would think that by having the other 2 HDD's on ports 1 and 2 that it would want to default to those.

I have also disconnected the 250GB drive from the system, installed Windows, reconnected it, and watched PnP do it's magic. The thing is, it seems that I am getting a lot of missing NTLDR errors, as well as missing BOOTMGR errors. I have been able to bypass it with a bootable CD-R fix, but I can't keep a CD-R in my drive for the sake of booting into Windows.

My current BIOS is the experimental one that supports X2, but I was advised to flash it down to 510-2 by a friend who knows quite a bit about the DFI boards. The only problem is that is he extremely busy and I can't pick his brain for tips and tricks all the time. I have a pretty nice lil OC goin at the moment, but I am getting some texture ghosting in 3DMark05 so I need to revamp those settings.

What can I do to fix the issue with the SATA drives? I have also specified in the BIOS boot priority that I want the 40GB Maxtors checked first after my optical drive. This is starting to drive me nuts, as yet another reformat seems to be in order :(

Unplug temporarily the other two hd's that you don't want windows loaded onto. After it installs, then plug the other two back in. you may need to change some drive lettering when you get back into windows w/ the other 2 hds plugged in. if you don't know how, ask.

Unplug temporarily the other two hd's that you don't want windows loaded onto. After it installs, then plug the other two back in. you may need to change some drive lettering when you get back into windows w/ the other 2 hds plugged in. if you don't know how, ask.

I have already done this, but I wish that the system would not default to my large HDD when it is on port 3. Seems that the numbering is backwards, because it displays 4,3,2,1 down on the autodetect in the POST screen. Perhaps I should just swap cables and try my main HDD's on ports 3 and 4, then connect my large HDD to port 2.

I guess it is worth a try. I had no problems like this with my Intel D915PBL, but that is also comparing apples to oranges.

Another issue that I notice. What would cause my memory to be listed as DDR333 on the POST screen during bootup? I have nice OCZ DDR400 in my system, and even in Windows CBID and CPU-Z report the frequency anywhere from 157MHz-185MHz.

This is starting to annoy me, because I am on all default settings in the BIOS now to try and figure out what's wrong. :|

Another issue that I notice. What would cause my memory to be listed as DDR333 on the POST screen during bootup? I have nice OCZ DDR400 in my system, and even in Windows CBID and CPU-Z report the frequency anywhere from 157MHz-185MHz.

This is starting to annoy me, because I am on all default settings in the BIOS now to try and figure out what's wrong. :|

This is because of the Winchester memory controller with 4 stick of ram(That's what i'm guessing you have). It can't run DDR400 at stock speeds. The revision e's will(venice, sd, and dual core).

This is because of the Winchester memory controller with 4 stick of ram(That's what i'm guessing you have). It can't run DDR400 at stock speeds. The revision e's will(venice, sd, and dual core).

Ah, crappy... Well, maybe in the future I will just swap out with a Venice or SD here before long. I was starting to get really pissed thinking that I had done something wrong and even ran memtest to make sure that the memory was ok. I hate jumping ship to something new, so much more to learn.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it tons! :)

Ah, crappy... Well, maybe in the future I will just swap out with a Venice or SD here before long. I was starting to get really pissed thinking that I had done something wrong and even ran memtest to make sure that the memory was ok. I hate jumping ship to something new, so much more to learn.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it tons! :)

These are great boards. They have enough options to make you pass out. Kinda makes me giddy sometimes :) . And the support around here is great as well.

And the support around here is great as well.

I agree, everyone on here so far has been a great help. It is good to see the support here, makes me glad I bought this board to get help from nice people. :)