Issues With Memtest #8/OCZ Gold VX

Guest Blooz1_merged

Guest Blooz1

I've been having good luck recently with my nF3 Sempron rig and a 512Mb stick of OCZ PC3200 Gold VX. I just got a DDR Booster to see if I can wring some more performance out of this combination, but I've run into a problem.

Prior to getting the booster, I was able to get a "stable" (meaning passing all requirements for the O/C Database) O/C of 2.4GHz with the Sempy/Gold VX at a VDIMM of 3.1V. Due to the low multi on the Sempy 2800 of 8, I was running an HTT of 300, and a 5/6 divider which gave me a mem speed of 240mhz.

Yesterday, after installing the booster, I changed the VDIMM to 3.3V and bumped the HTT to 315, which would give me 2520MHz, and about 250 on the mem speed. I let this combination boot into Windows to check the results with CPUZ.

Now, I've found that when testing new settings I can save time and effort by running Memtest #5 and #8 for a while before going through all the Windows based tests. If the settings have errors here, you know they'll fail in Windows!

So, I ran Test #5 for about an hour, which worked out to 80 or so passes, without any errors. I reset Memtest for Test #8, and started the testing. I fell asleep on the couch! It's a long story why, but Test #8 wound up running for about 18 hours!

It ran over 100 passes, and there were 38 errors during the run. As I understand it, Test #8 is closely related to Windows performance. I've never run into errors in Test #8 before, and I have no clue as to what I should be looking at changing!

Can somebody explain this to me and give me some ideas as to where I should go from here? Settings are as follows, top to bottom;

166,enable,2.5,3,6,3,10,17,2,2,2,3,3120,auto,enable,auto,0,L4,auto,auto,256,disable,16X,7X,disable.

Genie: 315,66,disable,auto,auto,auto,auto,1.35, +123%,1.6,1.5,3.3

Guest Blooz1

Well, I tried turning off bank interleaf, upping the Drive Strength, and entering a value of 2 for the DQS.

The end result was 3500 errors on the first pass of Test 8, so that didn't work out very well!

Guest Blooz1

Ok SaFrOuT, now I can see it!

BTW, this setting just passed 9 hours of Prime with no errors. What would you ctually consider more important, passing all Memtests with no errors, or being able to run Prime without errors?

i used test 5 and 8 in memtest to test the stability of the ram and when i am sure that they r stable for around 1hour or more on every one of the two tests i start windows and then use the first test ( small fft ) in prime to test the stability of the cpu , after i get both of them stable i run OCCT + Sandra benchamrks + PCMARK just to be sure that the whole system is stable

Guest Blooz1

Well, going by your standard, Safrout, I'd say this rig is actually stable! It DID run Test 8 for an hour without errors, it ran 9 hours of Prime blend test, and passed OCCT.

Although the DDR Booster does run hot, the VX heatspreader never gets more than merely warm. The case has 2 "M" series Panaflo 120's, both of which have been run on high for the past 48 hours. While the CPU was reported as up to 45C during Prime, the PWMIC and System temps stayed in the 30's during testing.