Viable 'puter Related Business?

cdog222

Over the last year, I've been building a small business doing kitchen / bath remodeling as well as ceramic tile installation. It's great being able to work for myself etc. etc., but my real interests are in computers.

I've been trying to think of a computer related business to start up, but I really don't have a feel for the 'market'. I do know that it seems many of the mom and pop type businesses that build pc's, etc., haven't fared too terribly well, as computers and components are so cheap now.

I do not have a formal computer related education - it's all been hands on (since my TRS-80 from Radio Shack 20 years or so ago!). Startup costs aren't an issue - is there a viable business that I could run (on a small level) and make a living? I know I don't have too terribly much info listed here for such a question - we'll just see where the thread goes ;)

the only types of computer stores that I know of that stay afloat well are the places that always charge retail. The mom an pop's don't seem to do as well because they are slashing prices, but only get us nerds to show up because we know what we're talking about. The places that charge retail get a bunch of Gates' worshipers (I use XP pro, doesn't mean I like XP pro =P) and so they don't know the difference between a monitor and a mouse (maybe not THAT drastic). I think if you wanted to do a startup, but you really wanted to make it, you need to make sure that you are not charging retail all over the place, build a good reputation for support and service, and almost the number one thing is ADVERTISE! There is so little advertising for these small time puter shops and that's the reason why no one knows where they are. Also, make sure you get a nice store front. I went to one shop that was 2 rooms. There were motherboards stacked up 3 feet high everywhere unprotected and the guy had a nasty stogie hangin from his face - oh yea, and his kids and wife were everywhere. AVOID THAT. Get a decent place that you can afford, have competitive prices (it's really hard to compete w/ the internet prices, but do your best), and offer premade systems at good prices.