I think I fried my CPU

I was using my computer last night, and it froze. I couldn't ctrl+alt+delete or turn it off with the power button, so I used the restart button, and it turned off, but wouldn't boot again. Whenever I try to boot up, it flashes four (not three) red LEDs then goes dead. Does this mean my CPU is dead? I tried resetting the CMOS and it till didn't boot. Is there anything I can do that would make my (2 month old) CPU and mobo work?

hey nathanson - did the power just CUT OFF by itself? and then everytime u press power - it comes on for a split second then power off? then AFTER unplugging/replugging power when you turn it on - it stays on with fans and all but still no POST? and 4 LEDs stay on?

if so - I think you've got a dead CPU - this is exactly what I did to my 3ghz on air venice chip 2 days ago, and I think the 704-2 BIOS was at fault.

Hmm this also happened to me I know what you mean by the LED's flashing i remember I had my Venice on 1.7V (Windows) 1.72 (BIOS) and was playing a game then comp off and the HDD activity light flashed around 3-4 times cant remember as well as one of the diagnostic LEDs on the mobo it was flashing in sync with the HDD light however I quickly powered off and on and it worked so im not sure :/ Mine didnt die but then maybe yours isnt either dont know mate sorry :/

^Another Melbournian on these forums hehe :P

:( It seems that, with this board, whenever you power it down improperly, you bork it and it won't boot again. And what do you mean by the restart button? You just flipped the PSU switch? Or is there a reset button? I don't have this mobo yet though . :blush:

nan, don't jump to conclusions on a dead cpu ... find the various startup stickies on this and other forums, start like you were building from start and figure it out ...

for starters do the full cmos clear stuff

um - cpu is dead, i tested on friend's system - also the chip is not generating any heat at all. thus explaining the 4 LEDs (CPU not detected) on the motherboard.

anyway, that's the end of one of the worlds best venice chips :(

try 1 mem stick in different slots. i bet ur cpu aint dead. try and borrow different mem. Also have u tried to hold the insert key down when u power on?

His CPU is dead, he has tried it in a different mobo, i think its obvious :confused:

yeah... it didn't work on my friend's system, and then straight after stuck his venice into and voila works... and yes, BIOS settings were resetted for testing purposes...

there goes my 2.98ghz @ 1.56vcore (and up to over 3.0ghz @ <38 deg C) on air prime/stressCPU/bench/100% rock solid chip.

where will i ever find one like that again...

Guest dacris

Hmm.. I have a 3200+ Venice myself so I'm wondering, what voltage were you running for most of the 2-month period? Also, what stepping was that chip?