Prescott or Turion?

well im saving up this summer for a major upgrade to my P4. in my sig, u can c i was hoping to replace it with a turion.

now a new option presents itself...i was wondering if i could get the Lanparty Pro875B(if i can find one) get the same RAM, and spend the money i would normally hav spent on the CPU on a peltier and some good cooling...and a tagan 480. how far dyu think id b able to pull my 2.8GHz prescott on that board, i hear prescotts will OC as far as ya want them to lol...

well thanks

well thanks liltechdude...

i kinda do want to OC this P4...i think itd b a bit more fun then OCin a turion...plus i might get a bit farther...i dunno im still deciding.

does this board hav any problems with any of the SATA/IDE/AGP locks?

Make sure to get the 875B Rev B as the Rev A does not properly support the Prescott processors.

There are certain revisions of the Prescott CPU which do not clock very well - no matter what board you put them on. I would get the scode from the CPU you have and search the forums (and other sources) for other user's experiences with the particular stepping CPU you currently own.

Hello,

For overclocking, I would not choose Turion64. Myself and a member on another forum attempted to overclock an MT-34, and no matter how much voltage was used, we weren't able to get them stable past ~2.6GHz. For what a Turion64 costs, you can buy an Athlon64 Venice/San Diego, which will overclock much better. If you really want to stick with Socket 754, Shentech.com carries 3400+ and 3700+ mobiles which are based on the San Diego E4 core.

3400+ - http://www.shentech.com/amn3400bkx5bu.html

3700+ - http://www.shentech.com/amn3700bkx5bu.html

However for a HTPC or low power system Turion64 is great. I'm currently running my MT-34 passively with only the power supply fan for cooling. 38-39*C load (F@H), lol. :D