NVidia Ethernet Port is Dead

Hi Guys--

I have an Ultra-D NF4 board and my NVidia ethernet port now can't keep a connection. I booted into Knoppix 3.8 (German) for the first time (which was acting up in itself) and was browsing the net fine in Knoppix. I tried reboot into WindowsXP and noticed the "Network cable is unplugged" tooltip in my system tray, except, it kept flashing on/off. It would only flash on for a split second when which the dialog would also flash on/off. I tried reinserting the cord and saw that the green light on the port was blinking in conjunction with the tooltip.

I tried reinstalling nforce drivers and double-checked that the port was enabled in the BIOS. I can use the Marvell ethernet port to connect to my network and resolve an IP fine, using it as I type this. I have not tried a different cord, but am fairly sure the cord isn't the problem. Nobody else on my network is having these problems. I have used 2 different AntiVirus apps that have returned nothing.

Angry/RGone: Is this a problem that needs to be fixed under RMA? I have heard the Marvell port on some other boards (Asus) hasn't been very reliable. You might say "well the Marvell one works, so just use it." Well, I'm not going to accept a broken part on my board...

EDIT: Another important point, I re-Ghosted to a previous image from a month ago and encountered the same problem, so a software problem has been excluded.

Naturally no, it's been working fine since I've had my board. Flashed to a 3/30 BIOS a month ago, worked fine since. The only thing I did out of the ordinary was boot into Knoppix 3.8 German version.

Hey there,

I just thought i'd chime in on this issue, as it seems to be a fairly common problem getting swept under the carpet.

I agree with kukyfrope that this is hard to accept, just because the Marvell works - that is a temporary solution. Nothing a user can do seems to fix this and yet it the port still lights up and seems functional.

The hardware firewall was certainly a selling point of this board and we need to get this issue resolved.

my $.02

Are you using the Ethernet drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard? If not you should be because I am sure the ones in the standalone 6.39 driver set gave problems.

Now if you want to rma the board and are out of warranty with the vendor purchased from you can gather this information and you "will" need "all" of it to rma. This only applies USA and Canada users.

When you email or call DFI, please provide these information:

Product model and revision if known. ( Usually shown as R. AXX or similar on stick-on with barcode).

Mother board serial number.

Place where you purchased this product.

Invoice number or Receipt number from your vendor.

And send all the information required above and no less to this address or... ...or contact me at this address if you feel you need to.

I have not heard of any real problems with any NF3 or NF4 Nvidia Ethernet except in the case of some Marvel chipset equipped modems or routers. One tip that was given me not long ago is that Linksys has gone to a super chipset and has become a real hot ticket for relief of many net problems. Just FYI. Have not tried it yet but if what Linksys just did as far as chipset and widgets is true> it should certainly be a winner.

RGone...

RGone/Angry can you guys help us out on what to do with our boards? Who can we contact for RMA etc?