My Ultra-D thinks it is in Antarctica

I am trying to get some input about some problems I am having with my NF4 Ultra-D rig. First off my cpu core is reading out at -117 degrees C :drool:! I dont really care too much about that because I am using a temp probe and controller, but it is rediculous none the less. Second problem though is keeping me from using my rig period. I cannot for the life of me get memtest86 or windows to boot from a cd. All I get is............verifying DMI Pool..............., then I get the old "Boot from CD" ploy. No matter what I do I cannot get any further it will not read a cd to boot it. I am using a Sony DVD/CD-RW drive that I would hope is supported. I have tested it with my other machine and it worked fine. Other than that my X800XL is in PCI slot 2 (only slot I could use with the XP-90C and the ram cooler on the X800XL), and I ditched the audio module because it made contact with my case fan. Rgone's bios settings are what I am currently using and that is about it.

Well that thermal sensor is not operating at peak...

Have u tried to reflash that bios to 310 again?

To be honest I think that might be a RMA... Unless Uve connected the power wrong somehow...

If at all possible I would like to avoid any RMA. I can probobly live with the jacked up temp reading :tooth: . I checked all of my power connections in the PC Health menu screen and they are all reading correct so there is no problem there. I really want to know why I cant install windows or run Memtest86 from a cd? Any recommendations? If not Ill just have to tear this thing apart and RMA the board :mad:.

Well if that BIOS doesn't work then Id conntact A_G via PM and ask (politely) what to do.

As for Memtest Are U talking about the built in Memtest enabeled in BIOS?

If so and U cant get it rolling and A_G has been on to it then its RMA time...

I am a rookie here also and I just searched and couldn't find the thread... *(my non leet skills + other research atm, so it was cursory)

HOWEVER, I thought I saw something here on DFI about DVD installs being a problem and so I grabbed a plain old CD/rom and used it instead or my install.

Not sure I am right, but something to try.

If you can burn it, this link has a memtest on it and is the bootable disk I used for memtest. *(and its bootable and would tell you if the sys was reading the DVD corectly.)

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/ ( I use ubcd32-basic ) and I think I dumped into magic ISO or Easy ISO to burn it.

G'luck.

EDIT : I erred on the side of caution, thinking about it I think it had to do with DVD burners.

My stupid arctic cooler was obstructing my view of my diog. LED's. Get this I only have 1 LED lit which never goes off, so only my VGA has been detected. So it is the ram which is holding me up. Thats wierd because the LED's on the ram are very active. Could the bogus temp be contributed to the fact that the cpu has not been detected yet? Corsair was no help when I asked them for advise on how to get this ram to work. They just referred me back to the DFI camp, because as they put it "thats a problem with your motherboard not our ram, the XMS pro series is some of the most reliable memory on the market". I cleared cmos then tried installing only one stick in dimm2, reloaded Rgone's bios settings and nothing changed. I swapped sticks........nothing changed.

Ahh we have a defined problem.. Corsair has proved to be a problem with this MoBo...

Set every thing to base values in BIOS.

Set the latency values to 3-4-4-10 (or in DFI order 3-4-10-4) then raise the Voltage to 2.8V and then play with the drive strength. 1,3,5,7 or 2,4,6,8. Once Uve found what works U can start tightening the timings.

I thought that u had all light off but didn't get into the computer after that which would have been a MoBo issue. What U have is a known memory issue.

Just do a couple of searches here on XMS and U will see. And to be honest the Corsair support U got asn't very helpful but it seems to be what U can expect from them.

Two threads that gives some hints and shows what the issue is:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10658

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10864

And this guy never got it to work and got OCZ RAM instead...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8957

OK, I got three LED's to come on now "thanks Frallan". VGA, RAM, & CPU are detected. I tightened the ram timing to 2.4.4.7. So wheres LED #4? I get just three LED's at start up then they turn off one at a time.

Does that mean Ure booting now? Is that 4th Led the one thats supposed to be on B4 the other three or the one supposed to turn off as last. (U can see that in the order of the row)... (Im confused)

And Ure welcome - we like to help :dog:

I was wrong Frallan they all come on. The 4th LED is only on for a split second and I missed it. The LED sequence is as follows: OOOO, OOO-, OO--, O---. ---- I have put my first to boot as CD drive, but it wont read the OS cd, or any bootable cd for that matter :confused:.

Well thats what I thought... Now to the booting issue :)

U are on 310 right?

Lets start with checking your memory (nothing to do with the booting tho).. Are u Memtest stable? Otherwise Ull probably have to reinstall windows anyway afterwards...

Then have U set your drives manually to Master and Slaves? Cable select isn't a good idea. I seem to recall issues w. DVDs and booting from them but start with Slaving that DVD manually and see what happens. Then add a HDD delay of 2 seconds in BIOS. (Just to be on the safe side). Then if it doesnt work well have to call in the heavy artillery Im afraid bc then Im out of ideas.