File transfer and hard drive problems... 875P-T

Finally had it with my windows install and formated my 80GB IDE drive. Its the only hard drive in the computer. I installed at 270 FSB without a hitch. Now that i've got everything back and going, i started to transfer the files over my network that i backed up. After a few seconds, i could hear the hard drive head park and it would reset. it happened a few times, and then i backed the FSB down to 260. Still did it. Backed it down to 235 with lower VCORE, and the problem went away. I ran like that for a few days with no problems. I decided to jump back up to 270 FSB. I loaded the CPU with no problems for awhile, but upon opening my memory card reader and transfering some pictures i took, when it loaded the hard drive for a couple of seconds, it parked, and reset.

Any idea's on this one? I feel its more like a driver problem.

That really sounds like a sector error on the hard drive. When you tried to transfer files across your network, did it stop at the same point and start making the clicking sound?

no, it achieved different percentages each time. It didn't make a continuing clicking, it just clicked once to signify the HD parked, i heard it spin down, the comp would reset and the hard drive would spin back up.

I experienced it again awhile copying files from my compact flash card to my HD.

no, it achieved different percentages each time. It didn't make a continuing clicking, it just clicked once to signify the HD parked, i heard it spin down, the comp would reset and the hard drive would spin back up.

I experienced it again awhile copying files from my compact flash card to my HD.

hi mike . you are shure you locked the agp/pci 33/66 ? try disabling the auto detect pci .

Guest LightSpeed

Mikey, the only time I have ever seen what you described is when a CPU is starting to lose its overclocking abilities. I have only seen it once, on a 3.0C that used to do 3.9GHz until I sold it. The client decided to volt it up some more and after that it wouldn't even do 240FSB. I hope this is not the case :(

Regarding 'auto detect PCI clock', I have yet to see a circumstance where enabling it has any benefit. I always leave that disabled.

A couple of questions:

Is the hard drive made by WD by any chance?

Does the drive only spin back up once your system gets to POST?

Mikey, the only time I have ever seen what you described is when a CPU is starting to lose its overclocking abilities.

This is what i'm hoping its not. I can't see a perfectly stable 270FSB, and without changing anything around in the bios, just a format and re-install, that it would hurt stability this much.

Is the hard drive made by WD by any chance?

Does the drive only spin back up once your system gets to POST?

Yes, and Yes. Post will wait for the HD to spin up before it reports what it is, and that its ready.

I feel like its just missing an updated driver or something. I can't seem to find anything though. Thanks for your replies guys, i'm a bit :confused: on this one.

Guest LightSpeed

I dunno why this seems to happen with WD drives, but it seems to be specific to that brand. I get the same thing if I try to push the CPU too far too fast, but nothing that can't be reversed. My long term solution was to simply stop using WD drives, and I can't say a bad thing about this Seagate. I also have not had this happen with any other brand of drive.

The only other thing I can think of that could throw such a twist to things would be corrupt/incorrect chipset drivers. Which Intel drivers are you using?

Here is a link to the latest ones which I also use on my rig with no problems:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/8638/a08/infinst_autol.exe&agr=N&ProductID=816&DwnldId=8638&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng://http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...ystems&lang=eng

The first thing I do after windows is installed is install the above drivers, then on the next boot I install the video drivers. Note that if you re-install/update this driver it is a good idea to re-install your video drivers afterwards.

I think it is very strange that you only reformatted and didn't change any BIOS settings and ended up with this result, and hope that it gets resolved.

I always set my IDE mode to 'enhanced mode' in the BIOS as well, as I like to have all my drives on different channels.

Keep us updated :)

Guest LightSpeed

Those are the latest Intel chipset drivers.

What has changed since the 6.3xx series is an updated set of PCI-related drivers. Even though the 'target chipset' may be the 955, it works just fine with 875 :)

6.3.xx was a substantial update to the chipset drivers, but this one ices the 875 cake nicely. Everything starting with '82801' in system properties has been updated, and in 6.3.xx they updated the IDE drivers and other stuff.

When I first tested the drivers, I had the 6.3xx installed. Afterwards I re-installed my video card drivers. I have set up a few systems from scratch using the 7.xx series driver and no issues to be heard of.

the INF update didn't help. Thanks for the link LightSpeed. The only thing that seemed to change was when i upped the voltage a bit (about 1.500, keep in mind i usually run 1.400-1.425) then the computer would freeze during massive file transfer instead of reseting. *sigh* i don't get it, it was just a simple format and re-install. Maybe i'd have better luck with win64. I was just waiting for it to mature a little better and more drivers to be released.

Mike

I am playing with a win64 install on a 3rd hhd and not having much luck overcloking it, cant get over 4G most days but then some days it clocks right up.

You say in post #1 that you installed windows at 270fsb? Was that service pack 1 or 2?Also could be a driver from xp that made the problem with the install before you installed the updates.I always try to install xp at defualt settings, it only takes about 10 minutes with a raid 0 setup.

Hey ford. I usually do install windows at default, but i've heard a lot of people say that it can prove instability if it exists. Windows install takes a lot longer on an IDE drive. I made a windows xp SP 2 disc (can't remember what that action is called, when you combine your original XP with SP2 and cut it to CD) and used that to install. after install i ran windows update, then the INF drivers etc etc.