[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. Stumbled across this forum while searching for information about the nf4 diamondmax 10 issue.

I have a serious problem. I inadvertantly flashed a 6l300s0 drive (BANC 1G10) to 1E00 while trying to flash a pre-1E00 6l250s0. The 6l300s0 now doesn't work, it won't even be recognized by the bios (though windows detects it, I can't see the partition). Dload crapped out in the middle of the flashing with a "time out" error. Incidentally, dload won't recognize it as being connected anymore either. Now that I've read about the hardware changes in 1g10, it doesn't surprise me.

This drive is exceedingly important to me, so I want to know if there is anything I, or Maxtor can do. If I send it to Maxtor, can they reflash the firmware back to the version it should be? Can I try replacing the logic board with another 300 gig 1g10 unit? Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated as I'm kinda freaking out. I'd like to try and keep the recovery under $500 -- so buying another 6l300s0 is completely reasonable.

Regards,

Rob

DFI LanParty Ultra-D

Athlon 64 X2 4400+

1 Gig (2 x 512) Crucial Ballistix Memory

ATI Radeon X800 256MB

SoundBlaster Audigy

WD 150GB Raptor (boot)

2 x Maxtor DM10 250GB Raid-0 (storage)

1 slightly fried 6L300S0

Antec Sonata with Vapochill Silent CPU cooler

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My diamondmax 10 drive (6L250SO) wouldn't stop disappearing, so I tried all the suggestions here, and none of em worked for me, so I got a refund on it. Got the WD 250gb and couldn't be happier :) For those who haven't gotten it fixed yet, that may be the only solution that 100% works.

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. Stumbled across this forum while searching for information about the nf4 diamondmax 10 issue.

I have a serious problem. I inadvertantly flashed a 6l300s0 drive (BANC 1G10) to 1E00 while trying to flash a pre-1E00 6l250s0. The 6l300s0 now doesn't work, it won't even be recognized by the bios (though windows detects it, I can't see the partition). Dload crapped out in the middle of the flashing with a "time out" error. Incidentally, dload won't recognize it as being connected anymore either. Now that I've read about the hardware changes in 1g10, it doesn't surprise me.

This drive is exceedingly important to me, so I want to know if there is anything I, or Maxtor can do. If I send it to Maxtor, can they reflash the firmware back to the version it should be? Can I try replacing the logic board with another 300 gig 1g10 unit? Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated as I'm kinda freaking out. I'd like to try and keep the recovery under $500 -- so buying another 6l300s0 is completely reasonable.

Regards,

Rob

Hi,

buying another 6l300s0 with 1g10 and replacing the logic board should work...

(as long as the firmware is stored on a flash / similar but not on the disk itself...)

cya

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I'm in the same boat, but abit worse, as i've had my drive for about eight months now starting of in a NFS mb until i upgraded to NF4 then my 6B300S0 kept vanishing on boot up.

Spoked to Maxtor tech support, first we check my firmware which turns out to be BANC1980

Well this revision cannot be updated the techi said I advise you get a PCI sata controller instead as there's nothing they can do, as it's working correctly but not with the NF4 chipset. I went out and bought the PCI controller and still not recognised.

I the called Maxtor again this time a different guy, updated him what I was told previous and what I had tried. ok he said we'll give it ago with the firmware update anyhow and if things go bad or not work out they will replace me with a new drive so with that info what have I got to loose, recieved the firmware banc1g20-1e if this means anything to anyone. It did not work, kept coming up with error.

Phoned the maxtor techi again. He said sorry for the messing around I'll send you the RMA number and post the drive back and he'll sort out a new harddrive without the NF4 issue.

After all until you call them you'll never know what could happen.

I have a SATA Maxtor 6V250F0 (250GB) connected to my Ultra-D. Sometimes on reboot or coldboot, the drive would not be deteced by the BIOS. After a couple coldboots later, it would. The solution for me was to set the HDD Startup Delay in the BIOS to 2 seconds. Since then, I've had multiple reboots and coldboots without any problems.

Hope this works for you.

I have a SATA Maxtor 6V250F0 (250GB) connected to my Ultra-D. Sometimes on reboot or coldboot, the drive would not be deteced by the BIOS. After a couple coldboots later, it would. The solution for me was to set the HDD Startup Delay in the BIOS to 2 seconds. Since then, I've had multiple reboots and coldboots without any problems.

Hope this works for you.

We've all tried that I even tried up 10 sec's still no go. The only thing that really helped things for me was the 310bios, all is fine and dandy, but 310 does not supprt dual core. so i had to move to 623-3 then tried the 704-2tba and various others. I found also for my setup is relaxed ram timings not overclock to the limi, It became for consistent.

As we have different setups apart from we all have Bloody Maxtor.

problem hopefully solved, Maxtor has just confirmed my RMA and they're shipping a replacement drive today 3 to 10 working days. As I've taken the advance RMA option.

I'll see when I get to plug the new one in.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Maxtor MaXLine III 300GB SATA 150 16 MB cache/with NCQ, firmware BANC1G10...the Nvidia IDE driver is a total disaster for my system...I did 2 separate reformats and tried to install it...both times Windows would no longer boot up and my hard drive no longer was recognized in the BIOS...when using the MS IDE driver everything runs perfectly...I think everyone should try out the Nvidia IDE driver and see if it works with your system as I do hear it could potentially increase performance, but not by much--maybe 5%...so I'm happy for now using the MS IDE driver...hopefully Nvidia or Maxtor will release a fix soon for these issues...going to the Maxtor site they admit to issues between their hard drives and the nForce controller

Maxtor/nForce issues

I got in touch with Maxtor tech support and they sent me the updated firmware, BANC1G20, for my Maxtor drive along with detailed instructions on how to flash it...never flashed the firmware on my hard drive ever before so hopefully things turn out all right

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for dragging up an old thread guys but wondering if anyone could help me out with BANC1G10 or BANC1G20 firmware updates, maxtor support dont seem to want to help me out due to not being able to read the serial number of the drive im using (worn away) its a sata 6l300s0 drive and ive been having corruption issues with it, its already on banc1g10 but im hoping firmware flash may help in some way, if anyone can help id be most grateful, thanks

I've been facing the same problem with DiamondMax 10 6V300F0 VA111630 firmware which is supposed not to suffer from no detection...

I connected the hard drive to a pci sata controller, Promise SATA300 TX4 and all seemed fine at first but after two days (and several reboots as I was reformatting) the drive stopped being recognized after a reboot...

I find strange however that this occurs after warm boots, not cold boots...if I leave the system closed for a while the drive is usually recognized....

----

Also, let me get a few things straight...

- Staggered spin-up:

--------------------------

The problem with this, as presented earlier, and Maxtor drives is that they enable it by default, so the delay in recognizing the drives one by one leads to non-detection...

--> In my system this could not be the case; This feature would actually help, since I have 8 drives...

Normally, in my case, that feature should help against non-detection...

=> If staggered spinup is enabled, does it make any sense enabling hdd delay in the bios?

-------------------------------

I read in another forum where a similar discussion was being held that:

I found that I had to put my SATA controllers in native SATA mode or RAID mode, instead of IDE mode, through the BIOS in order for these drives to be properly detected, regardless of whether the staggered start option is enabled.

=>How do I do that?

I'm sorry if all these sound perplexed...I am perplexed...

Also for the discussion's merit, a quote an answer from a different forum on this matter, different from the answers put forward here

I have an ASUS P5AD2-E Premium motherboard that's loaded with SATA capability...and I've got 8 of the Maxtor 6B300S0 drives. I have actually found a way to enable an individual drive activity LED indication for each drive! It incorporates the use of Pin 11 described in this thread, which also is used for staggered startup.

The main problem with using Pin 11 is that your typical SATA power connector from the power supply, whether you're using a 4-15 pin adaptor or native power supply connector, grounds pin 11 when you put the connector on. The only time this is not the case is if the drive is connected to a custom SATA backplane interface connector.

I found that I had to put my SATA controllers in native SATA mode or RAID mode, instead of IDE mode, through the BIOS in order for these drives to be properly detected, regardless of whether the staggered start option is enabled.

That done, I saw a white paper about Pin 11 on Maxtor's site that referred to drive activity signal in a table at the end of the document. Only their SATA II drives, such as the DiamondMax 10 and Maxline III, have this feature. Yippee!

Okay, now I had to find a way to isolate Pin 11 from being grounded by the power supply connector...here's where the surgery comes in...and it's not for the timid.

You have to cut through the Pin behind the connector (really not that hard if you have a really small pair of wire cutters) and then solder a wire to the pin on the drive-side of the cut. I then connected that wire to the negative side of an LED, whose positive side goes to +5v through a 90 ohm, 1/8 watt current-limiting resistor.

That's all there is to it!

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29207

I've been reading this thread for about 1.5/2 hours since i first found it and got upto the start of page 8. However, what i have read seems to be alarming to me. I recently purchased a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200Gb (Model no:6V200EO) with its original firmware version being VA111630. I've been having problems with installing windows on this drive. The drive appears to be detecting ok in the bios but whats happening is the installation of windows keeps crashing. I tested the RAM and that is not the problem. I then installed a IDE HDD and installed windows on that - this installation went through fine with no glitches and hence points the finger at the maxtor HDD.

If i just have the IDE HDD plug in (the one with the fresh installation of windows), it boots up into windows fine. But if i then connect up the DiamondMax sata, when i first boot up the computer, it would freeze on the first screen (that shows the BIOS version, the CPU speed and the "Hit delete to enter BIOS" etc). However, when i restart the computer after this freeze, the computer would boot up into windows fine. Within windows (that btw is runnign off the IDE HDD)the Maxtor sata drive appears to be detected fine.

Now, when i unplug the IDE HDD and leave the sata drive connected on its own, the computer freezes on that same initial boot up screen i described above.

So, i tried to install windows onto the sata drive while the IDE HDD is connected. Within the windows installation process, it detects the sata drive fine. The problem here is when i try to format it. I perform a NTFS format of the partition just created and the progress bar goes right upto 100%. However, this is as far as it gets. I left the comptuer on for 30mins and the installation process remaind att his point. Strangly, the Caps Lock and Num lock lights on the keyboard still glow if i press those keys, suggesting that the computer hasn't crashed.

btw, i'm trying to install Windows XP home edition.

I'm really confused about what to do because this is all happening even after i have recieved a firmware upgrade from the original VA111630 that was already on the HDD to VA111670. The upgrade was legit as i recieved it within an email from Maxtor. They suggested the upgrade as i phoned them explaining that i could not install Windows and mentioned that i have an nForce 3 chipset.

Whats worrying me is why hasn't the firmware upgrade solved the problem? Is there something else to blame? Am I supposed to be aware of some sort of nForce upgrade? And for the record, ive tried to use the maxtor HDD tester (PowerMax version 4.22) and each time ive used it, it crashed. But, this could be caused by the fact that im testing it on an nForce 3 motherboard.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Maxtor have Just sent me a Firmware Revision for my SATA 11 80gb Hard Drive

Model No: 6V080E0

Firmware Revision VA111680

Have yet to Update it, If NE1 is interested I'll Up it to RapidShare??

Let me know

Grzyb