to get raptors or to not get raptors that is the question

txmale36

im going to need to get hard drives soon. im getting mixed reviews on wd raptors and a raid setup. i see ag is testing some hard drives. can anyone recommend some hard drives other then raptors. i see ag is testing some hitachi drives. i dont need a very big hard drive. i can make it on 80gig total. just curious what thoughts anyone has.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3x or 4x hitachi SATA II = monster RAID-0 scores!

That would depend on how many drives you want to use, what type of controller you are going to use with them and what noise level would be acceptable to you.

I have used the WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 74Gig variety and was impressed with the performance, but not with the noise.

The Hitachi hard drives are much quieter and really quick but lack the 10,000rpm spindle rate. Though, they are EXTREMELY quick depending upon the application. I actually prefer the Hitachi drives over the Raptors for that main reason.

The random access times are no where near the speed of the Raptors. That taken into consideration with the decrease in price, noise and heat make them a fine addition to any rig. I will probably not use Raptors in my rigs again.

You really get the performance when you use them on an SATA II controller. My nF3 benchmarks on in the same thread.

so i can get the oem version of the hitachi drives.

This is the exact item we're talking about...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-145-075&depa=1

and to set up the raid array thats on a disk in my motherboard box?

Not sure what you mean by that sentence. You will have to build the array and install the OS on it from scratch. If you have a current drive with your OS and data on it, you can install that drive once you are up and running on the array to copy the data off.

You will have to reinstall all of your applications on the new array.

i assume the nvraid that ag is talking about.

Yes, the nvraid controller is the only one that supports SATA II.