Overclocking and voltage

fordf250

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i would want the 3.4 for the 17x multi, my 3.2 has a 16x. I've had a multi unlocked p4 before and lowering it was useless.

I get could a few CPU's for a LS. but the LS will be good for years all the way through dual core overclocking...240watt heat capacity and if i went dual core on it i'd modify the LS and tune it for lower temps anyway. And no i've never seen a 775, all my budies have Winchesters and so far i haven't seen much reason to go 775 except for higher OC's.

and I defenitely know about paying to play, I already fried my first 6800Ultra about 2 months ago, and Ive fried 2 MAX3 MB's, and gone through about 3 water setups. Any dumped my fair share of money into cars as well....god i want my turbo back, I can't believe I got tired of boost and went NA, boo on me

offtopic: what all do you have done to your truck? rwhp? you must be running alot of boost to need propane injection.

Guest LightSpeed
oh man guys...sigh....temperature has NOTHING to do with how high you can raise your Vcore...it doesn't matter if your temps are 40C or -90C the Vcore tolerances to not change. temperature does usually however mean you can use less Vcore to be stable....oh and somethings really wrong if your needing 1.7+ volts to be stable you shouldnt need that till 5+ghz. And i'd stuff the n00b statements since you seem to be quite misinformed.

Where do you get off thinking that 1.55V is for the uniatated using Air cooling? I had my [email protected] on TEC Idle temp: -6C Load: 17C

the Intel spec sheet says Vcore Max= 1.525V, hence 1.55 is fine, 1.6 is pushing it, and anything over and your asking for a failure or premature death.

Be Smart and think before you talk.

Well I have to start out by LOL :nod:

You haven't even SEEN a 775 board and you are giving me tips on what to do and not to do, now that is what I call funny.

3.2 can do 4.1 with air cooling, so TEC doesn't impress me at all. 250FSB is also a joke to me which I can do with my eyes closed, and default voltage, and this POS 640 even does 260FSB on stock voltage.

Like I said earlier, voltage really depends on the CPU. Some can run over 40% overclock with no voltage adjustments, and others obviously need more.

On a different note I have not seen a 3.0C not hit 1000FSB, but others say it is next to impossible. I guess I like to do what others say can't be done. :)

To this day I have yet to see a dead pentium, P2, P3, or P4 for that matter, and I have been volting them to 'failure or premature death' for at least 10 years now, and on a regular basis. I have had a few CPUs die, but none of those circumstances had to do with voltage adjustments. I am talking about 24/7/365 100% stable use, not suicide screenshot crap. All this extra voltage and nothing has burnt up yet, and I don't anticipate it happening, and IF it does, oh well :D

Last of all, the intel spec sheet wasn't written to help overclocking, so any guidelines they have are just that. Like mikey and others have stated, the 1.55/1.6v max was more of an overheating issue due to pathetic stock cooling options, but then Intel doesn't want us overclocking anyways :shake:

Guest LightSpeed
I used to have my Vcore jacked sky high cause i didn't test it out lower because i assumed it would need the Voltage, but then i dropped it to one notch above stock and voila it was still stable.....worth a try imo

n00b :P

Sorry I couldn't resist :D

BTW that has to be one of the saddest things I have seen anyone admit to, but it goes to show that you really have no clue what you are doing.

I guess you didn't know that you should always start with the lowest voltage, and work your way up, using EVERY step along the way. I like the sound of uninitiated masses more and more, it is not as harsh as n00b :O

Now since you have so clearly shown your lack of experience with overclocking, please kindly refrain from offering any advice to others from experience gleaned from forums, thanks. Feel free to put your foot in your mouth...oh yeah remember that part about thinking, it also applies to typing :nod:

1. 3.2 can only do 4.1 on air on a 775 board....not a s478

2. 775 pin cpus are still prescott cores

3. I never said 250fsb was impressive...dont know where you got that from, i've seen almost 300fsb on my stock MAX3.

4. I only mentioned TEC at all because of your implying that 1.55V is for noobs on air.

Hey out of curiosity what are your idle and load temps becuase our water setups are almost identical (you've got an extra singe BIX, but i don't run my 6800U off my main setup)

edit: in reference to your double post above, that was a VERY long time ago and was offered as a hindsight type of comment, i believe that was actually back from my Slot AMD days. But ok you can assume what you wish, and keep on attemping to be a cyber thug. Oh and so far I haven't seen a shred of evidence that you have any more expertise or experience than anyone else other than you running your mouth

I also wouldn't consider 8 years of OCing "lack of experience"

Guest LightSpeed

1. BS

2. and your point is...

3. I have to call BS on this one, as the MAX3 barely made it past 255FSB without mods. I had one of those too, but 300FSB with a stock board, I call BS.

4. I never said anything about 1.55v in the first place, it was in response to what I like to call the prescott myth.

Idle and load temps depend on the CPU, voltage, FSB. Which range are you looking for, and with which CPU?

Re-reading my posts I was a little harsh, but when you come in telling people to be smart, blablabla you better expect some sort of hostile response, at least from me as I am outspoken :P

Let's call it water under the northbridge and move on to more productive things :D

The highest I saw the CPU using the software was 48C, but it likes to jump between 41 and 48 under full load for some reason. Idle temp shows 34C with software.

Sensor on CPU block shows no more than 26.7C under full load, and I think the 'CPU temps' for this board are whacked, but that is just my opinion. There is no way a CPU can gain 14C in a nanosecond and drop the same amount as soon as load is gone. CPU temp has to be calculated from one of the mosfets on the board. I know this because on another board with the exact same setup it showed my CPU around 7-8C lower under all circumstances.

Light, Mike I cant believe he draged us in that far to all respond.Bah!

To get back to the subject, almost, I would like to find that sensor.I posted before about the temp vs voltage and am even more sure now.At 1.675V I and 4.4G I have no throttle and the temps are 53-56C dual prime95 till one fails, about 10 minutes then the temps go back down. AT 1.7V the temp is still 53-56C but there is 40% throttle and crash after a few minutes.Aslo at 56-59C when running a stable overclock my lazer temp shows the base of the hsf at 34C and the metal 775 socket at 37C.

I can run most games at 4.4G and 1.7V for 1/2 hour and the temp never goes over 42C but I dont think it would run ut2004 for an hour even at that low temp.

light speed i had a max 3 with a 2.4 nw at 290 fsb no problem and no mods just water . now with this 640 and my Ls i can do 4.4 and 1.55v . so cooling under 0 degrees givs a bonus off low voltage . im still testing at the moment , but i doubt i can come much higher then 4.6 mhz . like i mentioned in another forum is that the boards fsb jumps way to high somtimes when running 2xprime or super pi . ive set it to 290 fsb and under stress it sometimes goes to 300 . thats why we are not stable after 280 fsb .our ram is really having a hard time holding stable when so much fsb varies .couse as you know if the fsb jumps up so does the ram . this is my theary . maybe im completly wrong .

Guest LightSpeed

At any rate, max3 has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but good for him :)

Ford I know what you mean...regarding the CPU temp I have to pick up another can of freeze spray to find out where the temp is being calculated from. I will hunt for the 'motherboard' temp sensor too :nod:

I find it amusing how he wanted the thread closed due to 'opinion' yet the only one that is basing things on opinion is the one who wanted the thread closed. The rest of us who have posted have actually TESTED and verified results, and can also reproduce them.

Here is the definition of opinion ;)

o·pin·ion

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).

A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.

I guess sluflyers words would fall under the first definition, but the rest of us have substantiated our opinions with FACTS.

vanovich where was your CPU made?

As for floating FSB, it seems to be a bug with CPU-Z and other apps. RMClock shows the CPU speed accurately.

Slightly off-topic, but I will have my 560E-J on monday to test out a few more theories, and a new target of 5GHz :shake:

mine is a costa rica . im running 2xprime now at 295 fsb with 5:4 divider . ithink my pc 4400 can only do 286 fsb 1:1 . by the way hwm can not read - degrees . it shows 74 degrees while my ls shows -46 :nod: