Overclocking and voltage

fordf250

My 640 will do 4.24G at 1.6Vcore on air.If I go to water cooling am I still going to need !.6Vcore to get 4.24Ghz with the lower temps? I only run it at 1.6V for an hour or two at a time for gaming, the rest of the time its at 1.45v and 4Ghz,cmos reloaded makes it easy to switch back and forth.

Also if I did the droop mod will I have to change it evertime the voltage changes with the cmos reloaded settings?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LightSpeed
you really shoudn't be above 1.55. 1.6 is really a absolute limit unless yours on a 2-stage or higher.

I have to disagree with that as I can run up to 1.725 with water cooling, and temps are still :)

Heat is the biggest enemy of overclocking, not voltage.

I have to disagree with that as I can run up to 1.725 with water cooling, and temps are still :)

Heat is the biggest enemy of overclocking, not voltage.

I am with lightspeed on this one...i too ran my 2.4C on 1.725 volts 24/7 running a 275fsb....the extra volts was needed to keep it stable...some peeps go to 1.8 on water....btw..i was on a wc rig with that oc....my idle temp was about 42c and 53c max under full load

I am with lightspeed on this one...i too ran my 2.4C on 1.725 volts 24/7 running a 275fsb....the extra volts was needed to keep it stable...some peeps go to 1.8 on water....btw..i was on a wc rig with that oc....my idle temp was about 42c and 53c max under full load

Northwoods and Prescotts have different voltage ranges/power requirements. Northwood under water up to 1.75v is accepted as perfectly okay. The general recommendation for Prescott is 1.55v max.

While those of us that know what we're doing and accept (if not expect) the consequences of running such voltage through a CPU may give it more than these general recommendations, 1.75v for NW or 1.55v for PR are nonetheless recommendations for the uninitiated masses. ;)

yea...guys comon, you can't even compare Northwood Vcores to Prescott, totally different. People go up to 2v on northys with the proper cooling. but 1.7x and up on a pressy is just madness. Though I don't disagree that some CPU do like voltage for stability. But 1.6 on 4.2 shouldn't be neccesary. a 775pin pressy will do 4ghz rock stable at stock voltage, hell on my s478 3.2 i'm stable at 1.41Vcore at 4ghz

Northwoods and Prescotts have different voltage ranges/power requirements. Northwood under water up to 1.75v is accepted as perfectly okay. The general recommendation for Prescott is 1.55v max.

While those of us that know what we're doing and accept (if not expect) the consequences of running such voltage through a CPU may give it more than these general recommendations, 1.75v for NW or 1.55v for PR are nonetheless recommendations for the uninitiated masses. ;)

I should have read the thread better, i thought we were talking northies. I stand corrected :P I have not had the pleasure of playing with a pressie. I had heard that they run hotter, so i stayed away. My 3.4EE can run a bit hot if i start to oc too high, and i am on water.

I am thinking of getting an 875-P

Guest LightSpeed

Well I dunno about uninitiated, but I initiated my 640 up to 1.8v and it is still kicking :P

Right now I am at 1.725 under water and load temp is 41C. Extra voltage did absolutely nothing beyond that point. I guess for air cooling 1.55v is the absolute max for the uninitated masses (newbies), but water is a different story. I can say this from experience :)

Mind you, there are some precautions to take when using such high voltage for the CPU, such as mosfet heatsinks, increased air flow, etc... and on top of it all a decent PSU that can handle the crazy wattage requirements of overclocked prescott.

Light are you at 4.35G and 1.725V?( in your sig). Is that as far as it will go? I once was stable at 1.7V and 4.4G but can not reproduce those results now but I only need 1.65V to get to 265fsb(4.32G).1.675V is my max before it starts to throttle.

Glad to see you move up to the 6xx and finally get to enjoy this motherboard.I know you spent a long time trying to get the 550 DO to work well.