HDD recognition issues

i have my Raptor plugged into port 2 and my adapter-fied Maxtor (master boot) in 1. when my computer boots up it lists both of them, but when i get into windows under "my computer" it doesn't list it. i check under device manager and it's listed and claims to be working properly. i tried to have just the raptor plugged in to install windows, but it wouldn't go past the boot screen. just stopped after it checked my drives. any idea how i can get my true SATA drive (raptor) working?

i've formatted the drive, but when i put it on serial port one, nothing happens.

after the memory test and my drives are listed:

cd/dvd rom

dvd burner (master/slave)

raptor

i've tried every different SATA mode on the bios, i've tried booting with just the raptor hooked up. no jumpers on. currently i'm on enhanced mode for SATA. i put in my xp pro disc with my raptor on port one (auto arrange bios so that raptor is first drive) and nothing happens. it's like it won't let me install windows on it for some reason. it just stops doing anything at the bios screen

"backup CMOS......OK!"

then nothing but a blinking cursor. it doesn't even look for the install disc in my optical drive.

any ideas?

I'm guessing that you have CD as the first boot device? And you have on-chip Serial ATA set to Enhanced? not sure if it has any bearing on the matter but worth looking at changing to one of the other Sata/Pata modes. Don't plug in the maxtor until after windows is installed. You may also want some sata drivers on a floppy disc(Press F6 during windows install startup), have a look on the driver CD. I didn't get a cd otherwise I'd look for you, bought my 915 from a mate!