Smoothwall And Ftp

Well I have a Smoothwall Firewall/Router box setup and a FTP server running on another box on my internal LAN. I have used various routers with my FTP server but for some reason I cannot connect from the outside to the server. The server runs fine because I can connect to it on my internal LAN and before I switched the router I was able to connect from the outside just fine. I did notice something with this router though that I am not familiar with and that is for the port forwarding it asks for

source port, destination IP, destination port.

I know that I need to have 20 and 21 open for FTP and possibly a passive port range and I have opened them up(I think atleast) Problem is I don't know exactly what should be in each of the three fields. Of course the IP of the server is going to be the destination IP, but are the source and destination ports the same or different? I have tried various combinations of stuff but cannot connect to it. I am pretty sure its not the router either because I can connect to my webserver from outside connections, just the FTP doesn't want to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thats what I figured but, still it doesnt' work. I am thinking though that something else might be wrong I get this message when I access the ftp through IE. I'm not sure whether it is caused by the smoothwall or a setting in my FTP server program. But like I said it works fine on my internal LAN. It gives me this screen whether I supply a login & pass or nothing at all. Any help is appreciated because I am running out of things to try :(

Edited by LobbDogg

ahh, since you are running NAT "you" will need to connect to the internal IP address. Outside users like myself, will use the external IP. If you PM your ip, I can see if I can reach it.

Well its fixed and I have no idea what I did to fix it. I just kept changing the port forwarding and eventually it worked. Very strange because it is the exact settings that LinuXProX suggested. Those are the very first settings that I tried when I setup the router. But I have no idea why it was giving me grief. Who knows. It must have been the little computer gnomes that come out at night :P