Its OFFICIAL!

Guest ZigZag_merged

I prefer the stock 9 bladed Silverstone 120's. Better fin design= more air movement

I leave the thermodynamics to Silverstones engineers, who know much more then I do.

I'm not into the pretty window & LED/UV look anymore. Prefer corporate/professional look.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, It's my 1000th post. My gawd what a nerd :)

I'll try and make it meaningful.

As I said b4, the Silverstone fans are great. good air movement and quiet. Not as quiet as the SilenX but the originals work great.

Sometimes the engineers can't put all they want into a product due to the price points they are trying to hit.

As far as the thermodynmaics go (and I'n certainly no expert) I can tell you that CPU cooling is the parameter that is most important. I was not surprized to find that no matter what intake/exhaust combination was used, the CPU socket and diode temps remained virtually identical no matter what combo of fans I used. At 1.95V you generate a LOT of heat. Depending on the output of the fans (ThermalTake Smartfans, Silverstone originals, or the SilenX) the system temps would drop as well as GPU ENV.

The CPU would also cool off faster with the higher output fans. (Well duuh)

I think the corporate look is kewl as well. And in normal light the case looks identical encept for the soft green glow from the SilenX LED fans. I decided I like the green color in the front.

SilWT-Corporate.jpg

You can always put on the solid side for a complete corporate edition look. But at night with the lights down low It looks badass.

SilWT-FrontNight.jpg

So it would up looking like this, with green fans in front and Blue in the rear. The 92mm Smartfan moved about 1/2" off the SLK900A blowing on it and no spring clips to worry about. The blue fans did emit enough of the UV spectrum to light up the LanParty board. The temp drop at 10x200fsb is almost 4 degrees cooler. but I'm happy with the look and performance of the case.

SilWT-FinalNight2.jpg

I did swap out the Fortron for the Antec 480 TruBlue. No real difference in performance but the Antec fan is on the bottom and I think It may keep the HDDs a little cooler. The blue LED exhaust fan on the Antec blends with the fans in the rear. Not a real big floppy user (like hardly ever) and they generally just sit in the front of the case looking dusty. Always a pain in the butt to hook one up if I don't mount one. So figured I'd take advantage of that HDD rack. Can't imagine using it without needing to clear the CMOS and Battery anyway.

SilWT-PSUHDD.jpg

So here is where I wound up. This is at idle and it's Zero degrees farenheit outside so I do have the house heat cranked up. I have 1.925 volts on it here even though MBM5 is reading a little low. The rig is quiter with the SilenX although after long benches it takes longer to return to idle temps. I'm not that impressed with the 80mm SilenX as they seem to move very little air. But you can't hear them for sure. Got my Winfast TV/PVR card in and seriously thinking of running it at default MHz as a HTPC.

SilWT-Idle.jpg

Hope I didn't dork your thread up too bad ZigZag.

And thanks to all you crazies for puttin up with my goofy posts and sheet. :nod:

Nice work, Soundx.

:)

Your choice of using the bottom fanned psu (the Antec) was prolly a good one as it does help pull some air off over the hd area.

My temps are not as cool here in my new place (about 3-4C higher)as the building is fairly new and really well insulated. My ambient temps are more consistent (no drafts of cold air here).

Still pleased with the Silverstone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zerocash

Well I bit the bullet and bought the AeroCool which is the cheaper version of the Silverstone. The wind tunnel is just simply amazing. Only problem I had was mounting my HS. Usually hitting 2.3 is a real bear. Ambient tmp is about 68F when screenshot was taken. Not bad for an old crusty volcano7+. F@H is also running in the background 24/7. :nod:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/zer...erclock2400.jpg

geek? I pity the fool.

so just finishing the Silverstone off. It seemed kinda empty looking at the top.

2556emptytop.jpg

so I added two Hitachi 80G in another Raid 0 array and swapped out the silver floppy fpr a black un. and added one of the OCZ molex dealy thingers for the VGA card.

Figured a 7" widescreen LCD might look pretty kewl behind the winder and fed it off the S-video out on the XT800 and then ran WCPUID real time display into it ful screen

2556.jpg

Found 5 unltra bright Blooo LEDs in the soundx98 toy box and mounted them behind and above the HDDs to give em a lil glow at night

2556-2.jpg

coupla more tweaks and I'll be done. :)

Guest zerocash

Someone needs to post some pics of DFI NF4 board in one of these cases. Just wondering on fit because cpu socket is a little higher. :confused: :)