Its OFFICIAL!

Guest ZigZag_merged

coloursinmyhead and zigzag- that is exactly what I was trying to say. Our rigs are totally different. The GPU heat is exhausted out the rear by the Arctic Silencer in my case. Temps on the XT800 are 33 GPU and 31 GPU Env. never above 50 under load. I would think having the card mounted this way allows cool air to be pulled in from the 80mm intake.

Used one of those UV laser LEDs to highlight the PCI slots. The UV CCFLs never seem to give off enough light and take up too much room. Also may need togetout the black electrical tape again to cover those red LEDs.

SilWT-UV-PCI-slots.jpg

Then I found a roll of green EL tape hiding in the soundx98 box o' goodies. Fit perfectly inside the window edge of the case. It also makes the edges of the wind tunnel light up green. You can also see where the Arctic Silencer's Back/bottom mem heatsink actually contacts/scratches the wind tunnel.

SilWT-night-EL-Tape.jpg

This is the case with the original (and they are very good originals) FANs replaced with ThermalTake Smartfans. They are still too loud to get the cooling I want, but I may try some of those SilenX suckas

If you look at the top right spring/clip on the CPU Fan you can see how friggin close it is to the 120mm. (I tried an 80mm instead and there is a lot more clearance). But I intend to stick with the 92mm.

I mean I'm wonderin what the hale I need the dang spring/clip dealy's for any ways.

The 92mm sits virtually on the bottom of the case anyway. I also would like to move it 1/4 to 3/4 inches further away from the SLK900A to see if I can decrease the fan's deadspot. Got some super thick 3M industrial strength tape for hanging mirrors and other stuff that weighs a lot. I intend to stick the 92mm to the bottom of case with it and move the fan back slightly. Kill two birds with one stone. Probably will dampen vibrations from Fan as well. So what I thought was a negative is probably another positive. :)

[bimg]http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-LEDFan-Upgrade.jpg[/bimg]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey soundx..... I know it wouldn't look quite as nice.... but have you considered mounting the rear exhaust fan on the outside of your case?

I don't know how that wind tunnel thing connects... so I might just be saying stupid stuff.... but it'd be an easy way to get some extra clearance around your heatsink.

...just a thought....

I'd put a LOW RPM fan on the heatsink as its not even needed with the wind tunnel & its dual 120's.

Quiet & cool is how I like it, myself.

Thanks for the input KoN and ZigZag.

Don't need to worry about the spring clips anymore cause I am mounting the CPU fan with me special tape and will not be using the stupid things. So plenty o clearance now :)

Ya know KoN I was thinking of adding an 80mm/90mm on the inside since I have room on the PC slots. An LED version will prolly light up the upper half of the case as well.

And I DO think I need a high RPM CPU fan with this rig.

The Thermaltake smartfans ARE ALL adjustable.

I bet I can decrease RPMs and noise when I back the fan off the SLK900A slightly. I'll try and mod tonight and then post some temp readings I have been taking.

http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/dcf...d/bluesmart.htm

A touch of the soldering iron on the Front panel Power LED light terminals fixed that issue fine too. Either a cold solder joint or me opening and closing the front door a zillion times playin with it. :)

Both Power and HDD LEDs are VERY bright so mucho kewlio right now.

So the thoughts you guys been throwing around about upper air flow in the case got me thinkin. The Arctic Silencer allready expells the GPU heat nut the Southbridge, Raid Controller etc are sort of in a dead spot.

And KoN's idear bout mounting the 120 externally had me intrigued. (Oh, the tunnel itself clips on well with just 4 plastic connectors you bend slightly when removing).

So I added an 80mm internally mounted to the rear of the case. Case temp promptly dropped 2 degrees. :nod:

SilWTAddedAnotherFan.jpg

Excuse the messy wiring while I tweak it a bit :)

You can see the UV Lazer LED mounted to the bottom of the HDD rack but I intend to remove it as the New CoolerMaster 80mm BlueLED throws out enough stuff in the UV spectrum to light up the LanParty's UV PCI slots.

As you can see from the pics I solved the spring clip clearance problem by removing them, and then securing the CPU fan with good ol soundx98/3M mirror hanging tape. Also moved it back about 1/2 inch and temps seem to have gone down by 2 degrees on CPU socket.

SilWT-Wiring2.jpg

Spent a lot of time "flattening" the Fortron main molex cable so it would pass under the X800 without interfering. I did have a small rebooting after 5 sec problem until I realized the ATX cable was pressing on the reset button. "D-Oh". :)

I added a bunch of cable ties to the molex connector for the VGA card. I wanted to really stiffen it up so it bent into the card in a semi-circle as the rest of it is hidden behind the motherboard.

I removed the stick-on decal from the Arctic Silencer as it looks better all clear plastic. And once again you can see it does rest right on the wind tunnel. clearance is nil. But it's been a great cooler for me.

And here's a night shot that I think is pretty kewl. Need some type of logo on the plastic wind tunnel itself I think.

SilWTFanNight.jpg

Now before ZigZag screams "heresy" cause of the fans and noise, I want to ensure him that I read and value his posts.

TripleC (that crazy canadian cantankerous) pointed my to these new super quiet bloo led fans from Silenx. Seem expensive as hale but specs look very sweet.

http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=700.22

this are rated at 14dba which is lower than the "stock" ones in the Silverstone. Higher CFM as well. Ordered couple of 120mms and some 80mms and will test this weekend and let you know.

Oh and I reversed the CPU fan air flow last night. Pulling instead of pushing air on SLK900a. Kid is gonna play on it today and see how the temps go. Prolly should reseat the whole thing as I've touched/moved/bumped the SLK900A about a hundred times. Temps read a degree lower but I'm afraid I may have to pick up a compu-nurse or something to get any accurate temp readings.

Oh, If you can't tell yet, I am having a ball with this case.

Looks like nice clean work there.

Nice job, dood.

Might consider adding an 80 mm exhaust myself this summer if I need to to lower case temps. Not worried though my pc room is usually about 4c lower then the rest of my living space.

Well I got my new rig up and running in the Spiral Galaxies case. So far I am fairly impressed with the case. The wiring I think is going to be a little more challenging in a case this size and also due to the WTX mobo. It throw's a monkey wrench into the whole mix. The case is totally tooless except for the mobo mounting. I love the drive rails the way they just snap into the drive. 1 thing I'm not crazy about is the card retension mechanism. I ended up putting a screw in my video card to secure it better. The guts of this case look like a reverse engineered Silverstone TJ06. Looks Identical! All that I am waiting for now is my XP-90, AS5 and 80 MM addin fan. That stuff should be here tomorrow. Then I can finish putting it together for good. For now I'm runnin her up the street with the hood off! I will post some pics once it's all buttoned up. Once that's done, I just have to figure out these bios settings. Time to study...

AArrrrggghhhh!

dang canadians -

Hello Sir (or Madam),

Thank you kindly for your recent order with us and for giving us this

opportunity to serve you. We have a problem processing your order and I need your help to continue. We only sell Silenx products to Canadian customers, you can purchase Silenx products directly from SilenX .

Course the SilenX on-line store is down and their site is acting really wacky. Can't seem to find anyone in the US selling the bloooo led ones.

Double dang dardly doo - I'll keep you advised.

Savage that case looks identical to me on the inside. You're gonna like it!

EDIT: in stock at www.3dcool.com if ya care. :)

Hope they're good after all the hassle.

EDIT #2: These guys are good. Nice call back verifying a question I had and should have them tomoorow. I'll tryand report back by Monday.

Gawd these things may be too pretty to put inside the case.

Haven't opened them yet but the housing is a VERY clear plastic. not the foggy stuff like all my other. Got 4 LEDs like the coolermaster but they don't have the white ring of tape around the outside which is a big plus as it can interfere with mounting options. nicely done. 4 pin, 3 pin, and got the "wares" all sleeved and lookin kewl. The blades are very thin.

I'll post some pics a lil later. but sweet so far.

The plan for the Silverstone is to replace the 120 Intake and exhaust with Blue 120mm. Then gonna use a green 120mm pointed at the SLK900a with the aid of "super tape". Then replace the 80mm front intake with either green or blue SilenX 80mm (I'll need to see which I like better) and add an 80mm to the PCI slots in the rear.