Its OFFICIAL!

Guest ZigZag_merged

Guest ZigZag

Silverstone's TJ06 wind Tunnel case kix arse!

Just cranked up the thermostat to 73 Fahrenheit. My AMD64 is modestly overclocked at 2.47 Ghz (from 2.2 Ghz).

cpu temp is25- 26C

pwmic temp is 22C (sensor near mosfets on DFI boards)

system temp is 22C (about same as room temp of 73 Fahrenheit)

This case is the answer to hot cpu's or cases, vid cards, etc.

Another alternative to water cooling or Phase Change.

(also the quietest case I've owned)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ZigZag

About 12 c higher on cpu, 3-4 c higher on PWMIC & system.

I run a cheapo TT Silent Boost K8 hsf & with this wind tunnel my temps are lower then an XP-120 with a delta.

But the case is 31 lbs loaded. You need a psu with long cabling, but you can hide 90% of the wires behind mobo tray. Makes for a neat interior.

Guest ZigZag

No digi cam.

But if u google--> Silverstone TJ06 reviews

U will see some reviews, lots. Plenty of closeups.

It works best with a psu that has LONG cables & a fan on its bottomside to draw the 80mm intake air flow over the hard drives.

Silent pc review is very in depth I remember.

Guest ZigZag

06-back.jpg

notice how there is VERY little metal grill work on the fan grills. Its less impeding for airflow.

Guest ZigZag

You can put 90% of your wiring BEHIND mobo tray as there are large slots (3) near cpu area to pull the wire ends thru & plug them in.

06-otherside.jpg

Guest ZigZag

Comes in black or silver, mine is black to match existing drives. Heres a pic of whats underneath the front bezel.

17.jpg

Best $138 I ever spent.

Niceaz job ZigZag.

Ya Did a great job on the high points of the case design.

I'll give it a big thumbs up as well.

A great design and a wonderful case.

But my build was a little different.

Packing is OK, buts it's pretty thin cardboard and the internal stryfoam was crushed or broken in a few places.

Sizewize it's about the same as a Chieftec type mid-tower. The Chieftec series are one of the best designs ever with lots of roomand some classic innovations. I've got a Wavemaster as well and it's great quality. The Coolermaster Has it's own set of drawbacks, front intake cooling is very poor, I usually leave the lower door open if I'm gonna be really stressing the rig.

I've used to great cases and was hoping for even better things from the case.

It's got some real nice lines. Kinda of a classic modern.

[bimg]http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-side.jpg[/bimg]

It's a non-removable motherboard design and The inside of the case is huge. It's ALWAYS more convenient to use a removable design and I wish they could have found a way to.

I've tried and tried but the Power LED will not light.

Friggin frustrating as hale.

This system is quite a bit different than ZigZag's. It's DFI LPB on

HellFire's 8KA Rev 2 (although I initially used compufan's Infinity bios with similar results. XP2600M @ 1.95v, 250x10.5 or 255x10 depending on my mood :)

The temps dropped at stock about 2degrees from the other rigs.

I've got a ton of fans and it was about what I was expecting for a decrease. When you are running at 2600+ on Air with an NF2 you are going to generate a lot of heat. It's the nature of the beast.

I'm gonna post some pics and then edit around them. Took these at 5:00AM and was pretty groggy at the time.I'll try and replace the pics with better ones when I can.

Figured I'm used to the noise so I replaced the front fans. (Yes the original's are real quiet, but hale dudes, I want to overclock)

replaced the 80mm with a blue Coolermaster, and the 120mm with a Thermaltake 120mm in the front and rear.

Looks really cool when it's on. The stock HDD LED is really bright so it's easy to see activity.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-night-front.jpg

The wind tunnel plastic takes on a nice blue glow as well.

I'm sure you can see the 1st problem is that with a DFI nf2 and and SLK900A + 92mm you butt right up against the 120 exhaust.

The metal springs that hold the fan down come with in a hair's breadth ("c" hare) of hitting the blades. I'm talkin really tight.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-night-side.jpg

Here is a side shot that shows the windtunnel and basic internal layout. On to problem number 2. I'm using an Arctic Silencer 4 on the XT800 and it just plain don't fit without a little bending. The metal heat sink on the back of the card (bottom) extends too far down.

The plastic wind tunnel cover is easy to remove and comes with a removable piece of plastic at the top for various mb layouts including a dual processor design. I wound up just removing the insert entirely. There are no instructions whatsoever regarding the insert options.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-wind-tunnel.jpg

All of the front bay and HDD rack snaps in with these little metal rails. kinda cool but it took me some time to figure it out as there are no instructions and the rails are different sizes with a right and left specific side. Nothing on their site either and geez Silverstone we are paying around $150 US for these.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-Raptors.jpg

I've never been a fan of the quick release PCI locksand although these are much more substantial than like the Tsunami ones, I was not impressed. They also do a have a screw hole to secure the PCI cards and I would suggest you use them.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-side-angle.jpg

I removed both sides before the build and they are secured by two plastic locks on each side. Personally, I don't think they'll last but it gives it a clean look and easy enough to release once you've figured it out. Same with the wind tunnel release. I am always a little leery of bending plastic tabs a little too much but the design seems to work fine.

Yes your PSU needs a LONG ATX molex cable and you'll prolly need a couple more extentions and "Y" adaptors for fans and periphials. There are enough holes to help you hide alll the wares

as wellasmany smaller eyelets for securing with cable ties.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/soundx98/SilWT-wind-tunnel.jpg

One last note of concern is the closed side of the case where the SATA or IDE connectors are located. There is VERY little clearance here and I'm sure some of you feel the same why I do about SATA connectors. Although nice and small they sure suck big time :) The damn things never seem to make a very secure connection. Try and use right-angle power and signal connectors on the drives as this will give you some additional clearance.

Not real happy with this used Fortron 530 I picked up. Voltages are all a little low. think I need to get inside and do some tweaking but I'll keep you advised. Currently at 255x10, Sandra membandwidth 3951, 3D01 at 24395 on X800@XT-PE 520/560