Hyperthreading NOT

New to this board. Been a PC geek for many years and have provided volunteer support on the old Compuserve Forums for Toshiba Laptops.

OK...issue is hyperthreading. I have it enabled in the BIOS, but using the Intel Utility for checking Hyperthreading says Processor Test OK, Chipset OK, BIOS has the !.

I have tried using the default BIOS settings as well as my overclocking settings, which BTW I am quite happy with. PC runs a nice cool 32degreeC at rest and when pushed, never goes over 48C. I am using a P4 3.0Ghtz chip clocked up to 3.7 with no issues and an ATI Radeon 800XT Platinum 256MB PC Express card slightly overcocked to approx 510 for the core and leaving the mem stock. I get 26000 3D mark scores on the old 2001SE application and my best 3D Mark05 score is 5548 which ranks up there with similar P4 3Ghtz chips.

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest dated 9/2004 and again, the BIOS DOES state hypthreading is enabled and I can see it on my spash bootup screen. Same isses with the original BIOS dated July 04 when I bought this board a month back

I probably am not missing out much in the way of speeds I suppose since this seems to be a screamer. Both the Sandra 2004 utility and the Intel Hyperthreading utility v1.2 state that Hyperthreading is not currently working.

Any clues. I clean installed XP Pro using a slipstreamed SP2 CD with no issues. I did initially not use the F5 key to setup ACPI manually and I saw that under Computer in the device manager, it said multiprocessor and I saw two PC's in the DM which I thought was strange. So, I reinstalled clean again, using the F5 key when asked to Press F6 to add third party support etc and chose to use the ACPI. I still show two processors in Device managaer but under Computer, it does now say ACPI instead of multiProcessor.

Would that be the issue? If not...any clues?

Again, quite happy with this board and no issues with overheating. It was originally a Falcon Northwest machine I bought 4 years back with an old ASUS Mobo using an AMD 2000+XP Processor. I liked the case, so I basically gutted the machine and rebuilt it from scratch. Also, using a Vantec Stealth 520W 3 Fan PS which is better than the old Enermax 550 that blew up initially when I first lit up the board. I added the neat clear side panel a few days ago as you can see in the attach pix.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to intoduce myself and give enoguh background as possible.

If you need anymore info, let me know. Yes, I did install the latest Chipset INF too from Intel.:angel:

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

I guess i'm from the old school where we encouraged users on the Compuserve help forums to keep their sigs short and have the details in their posts. Anyways, I hope you can see enough details now and again, Hyperthreading shows enabled in the BIOS as well as the spalsh screen when I start the machine and watch the info scroll prior to the Windows bootup.

http://tinyurl.com/44hcp

This is the link to the utility direct from Intel regarding hyperthreading being enabled and again, as I stated in my last post, it passes two out of three tests. The third test says it's a BIOS issue. I encourage anyone reading this to try this utility and see if they get the same results as me.

TIA.....

PS....do you still need any more info in my sig?

I answered my own quesion looking at the MSKB articles. I should have used the multiProcessor setting and NOT use the F5 key to change to ACPI. I guess I will backup and try changing the HAL by forcing an upgrade on top to see if that works. I realy don't want to do another clean install if I can work around this, but I did see the MSKB article that states for hyperthreading to be supported, Computer in Device manager must say multiprocessor which when I first installed the OS, I thought was incorrect :(

Oh well......

lol ;)

your sig is fine. We ask that you put your specs in sig for the reasons stated in teh sticky. We want to be able to see it each time we post (im looking at your sig while typing in the quick reply box and thinking of what you said in your post and matching it in my brain with whats in your sig heh)

only think i ask that you try is to use the tags to make the text smaller. then i'll not complain anymore lol.

also note that the Intel HT test does not work with any ES (egineering sample) cpu's. I can get it to work 10/10 times on any Northwood p4 retail cpu that I have and my 2 2.8 775's...but it fails 10/10 times with my 3.4ES and our 3.4ES 775 at the office.

states for hyperthreading to be supported, Computer in Device manager must say multiprocessor which when I first installed the OS, I thought was incorrect

I haven't tried it myself, But I was told in the Abit forums once that if you boot into " safe"mode, then in Device Manager under Computer, uninstall whatever driver is there and reboot, the multiprocessor HAL will install itself automatically when Windows starts up if HT is turned on in the BIOS.

Thanks. I will try that first, then try an upgrade install and choose the correct ACPI multiprocessor choice. I already used Ghost 9 to create an image of my current C partition and tested it so anything I try will be safe.

Thanks for the tip.

Well, Windows will NOT allow you delete the driver or settings from Computer in Device manager using Safe mode or normal mode. So, I ran an upgrade install via auto running my Slipstreamed SP2 Pro CD. When the machine first rebooted after it first asked me to enter my serial number, I got the usual inspecting hardware screen. With fingers ready and waiting, I hit the F5 key when it offered to install third party SCSI or RAID etc using F6. Using the up arrow, I scrolled to ACPI multiprocessor. 30 minutes later, upgrade completed and DM now states ACPI MultiProcessor and best of all, the Intel utility now states Hyperthreading is indeed installed, checked and working and Sandra 2004 utility states the same.

Mission accomplished. Fixing my sig was harder than reistalling :)

Best to all here, BTW for the quick replies.....

Will try benchtesting tomorrow when I get some sleep to see if the effort was worth it. Just had an angiogram test done yesterday and I'm beat from the prodedure as well as this exercise in minor frustration since I didn't want this to beat me

FYI to all. Hyperthreading did add a bit to my 3Dmark05 score. Using the same settings I irked out a 5538 score. I'm not into why it would make a difference. Coincidence maybe. I try to duplicate the exact settings prior to running a test, including rebooting and killing most of my startup stuff. I consistently get 200-300 higher on my tests. So I guess the effort was worth it. Reinstalling on top, fixed one other nagging issue I had too, not worth mentiong.

If my memory serves me, under W98 I know you could delete it. Not sure about W2K and possibly XP Pro SP2 may have changed this too. Just don't want you to end up with egg on your face :)

The reinstall on top went pretty smooth other than having to sit and watch it since many programs have non digitally signed drivers and it hangs waiting for you to answer OK to install anyways. That was the only PITA going thru this. All my programs worked without having to reinstall. Only one program asked me to re-enter my registration number. (Tuneup Utilities 2004)

Anyways, thanks again for offering an easy way out.