boot twice?

alinosa

hi all, i've got a situation: I got a new vid card (the 6600 GT in my sig) so i did a clean install of xp pro, then SP2. I'm running the 66.81's (came with card). I've noticed that i have to boot my comp twice before it works ok... The first boot goes fine until about 2 or 3 mins into windows. It locks up, but i can still highlight things with my mouse even though the cursor doesn't move... like i can click the start menu and have it open even though the mouse is stuck on the other side of the desktop... after a couple seconds like this, it locks up completely, and i have to hit the reset button. After this, everything seems to be ok. Anyone know why this is? I am pretty sure it started right before i changed out my card, but i'm not 100%. At first i thought it was my overclock, because i got new ram and pushed the FSB to 250. I thought that maybe my NB was getting too hot. i threw a fan on it and nothing changed... after i figured out that i had to reboot once then i was fine, i took the fan off my NB and i'm fine still, but only after the second boot. So, anyone have a clue what's going on? Could it be the BIOS? PLS help! I hate having to boot twice every time.

thnx!

*smacks forehead*

sorry about putting this in the wrong section... wasn't paying attention.

but, yes i do have the 12 V connected, agp is auto, chipset is auto and cpu is at 1.775 (bios, actual at 1.76 ish)... i've noticed that it does this when the ambient temps get really low... like "dang i need to turn the heat on" cold. When it's warmer, it doesn't do this. Like today when i got home from work, it was actually warm again (frickin' san antonio weather) and i didn't have to boot twice... wierd.

i didn't think about it until now, but i think i made a mistake: i just pulled my whole rig apart to cut out some holes in the case and paint it, and fit my new rad to it... dang, i shoulda waited to do that. crap.:mad:

• 3 weeks later...

just got all my stuff back together for the final build. everything painted polished, waxed, leak tested and destroyed (1 6600GT dead; back to ti 4600 until used 6800LE gets here). i upped the voltages, and and am running like butter. got the BIX3 in the top of my case and DTEK WW block on my mobile 2500 and it idles at 21*C...21!! and loads in prime 95 at 28*... holy crap!

thnx again angry games

allen