3dmark03 crashing

conscript - I allready tried disabling fastwrites in the Bios. All it did was slow down the FPS on the first one. Still crashed. Also tried it from the Catalyst (sp?) Control Panel. Still didnt work.

Samurai Jack - When you quoted me what did you mean by it? Did you mean that the order I installed everything was the issue or did you mean that I allready tried fastwrites, or did you mean something else?

I didnt get a chance to mess around with it at all yesterday night I had a huge paper I had to work on. I will post the results of my playing around tonight.

On the plus side though my roommate installed Doom 3 on my computer and gave it a run. It played without crashing but I don't know what settings he had on in the game. (It is hard writing a paper when you want to mess around with your computer and your roommate is playing Doom 3 on YOUR computer in the background(sp?))

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samurai Jack - When you quoted me what did you mean by it? Did you mean that the order I installed everything was the issue or did you mean that I allready tried fastwrites, or did you mean something else?

I didnt get a chance to mess around with it at all yesterday night I had a huge paper I had to work on. I will post the results of my playing around tonight.

On the plus side though my roommate installed Doom 3 on my computer and gave it a run. It played without crashing but I don't know what settings he had on in the game. (It is hard writing a paper when you want to mess around with your computer and your roommate is playing Doom 3 on YOUR computer in the background(sp?)) [/b]

I am sorry I guess what I posted didnt get in there somehow.

Anyway what I was saying was that DX9c had to be installed before the chipset drivers. They will not work right without this done this way.

As far as order to install it should be like this. First I am not sure which OS you was using without going back over the post.

Anyway OS- SP if not already in OS - DX9c - chipset drivers - vid drivers.

But if Doom 3 played maybe there is just some little something just not right yet.

I had a problem with refreash rate of my monitor once, I had it set to high. Not saying this could be it, there is just so many little things that can get you. But it would cause my rig to crash as soon as it loaded some cames, not all of them.

But let us know where it stands for you, and if the drivers where not

installed in the order I list change it. Oh you might want to us the drivers that came with the mobo. They have worked best for me anyway. I have messed around with all the chipset drives I could, for now these seem to be working the best. But that is my rig and it may not go that way for yours.

Anyway good luck

What I had posted was youSJ

Do you think it would be fine if I just uninstalled all the drivers and DX9c. Then reinstalled them again. I just dont want to reinstall windows unless I have to.

Also I can lower the refresh rate in the Catalyst Control Panel right? I will give that a shot tonight because I know my moniter isnt that great and it even has distortion at the bottom like there is a cellphone by it or something.

I found the issue with it crashing.

I got frustrated and just reinstalled windows. It ran perfectly after I reinstalled and did drivers, I got 3950 for the benchmark. Ran fine after windows updates. Then I installed Norton Systemworks. It started crashing right after I installed Norton. Then I uninstalled it and it runs fine again.

So I found my issue but I want to be able to run Norton. Where do you guys think I should go from here? I know si3.dll was crashing it by the windows report.

Thanks,

Nathan

nstublaski >

can you describe how it crashed on you?

on my rig, the test exits back to windows desktop after first test of 3dmark03 completes. 3dmark01 and 05 run fine, albeit 05 is very slow, about ~2200. I disabled all of the overclocks, and it still did the same.

I just left it alone, until last night I was trying to play Max Payne 2, and the game would exit on me in exact same way as 3dmark03. After random time within 10mins of starting game it would just exit back to desktop. No crash notices, or anything.

now I am concerned, oh yeah, I dont run any norton stuff.

Then I played wolf3d the new one, and it did not crash once...

hmmm.....

I crashes back to windows after the first (sometimes the second) test. I click on the windows error report and si3.dll is making it crash.

Maxud - You should check the windows report to see what is making it crash. Then you can know if it is the same issue on both and if it is a hardware issue or software issue.

Originally posted by nstublaski

I crashes back to windows after the first (sometimes the second) test. I click on the windows error report and si3.dll is making it crash.

Maxud - You should check the windows report to see what is making it crash. Then you can know if it is the same issue on both and if it is a hardware issue or software issue.

when the test crashes, the windows does not report there there was any kind of problem. It almost as if I just closed the test...

Originally posted by st0nedpenguin

This is the same problem I'm having, have a look on the Futuremark forums, it seems to be quite a common thing, and should hopefully be sorted out in a new patch for 3DMark03.

ironically i found futuremark forums before i read your reply. There are some people with xp sp2 that have problems, and some other without.

I would be totally ok with the stupid benchmark crashing on me, but when Max Payne 2 crashed in a similar fashion, it got me worried that i have a problem somewhere....

can't find any help with the MP2 issue...

No idea if this will make a jot of difference, but I'll just throw it in here now as I've spent the last 20 minutes fighting with it myself.

I just ran the first full 3DMark05 run on this rig, and scored 2300, less than half of the score from my old AthlonXP rig, and was understandably baffled.

Until I remembered something.

The last time I installed the current nVidia chipset drivers, I had to manually install the GART driver three times to actually get it to stick, or 3DMark and dxdiag both listed AGP acceleration as being unavailable.

So I decided to drop back to the last nVidia chipset driver release, and it's sorted again, GART driver installed fine, and scores back into realistic territory, but it did get me wondering if this was just a one off isolated problem, or if there could be a problem with this driver release in general, if one part of the driver package failed to install for me, I suppose there's a small chance that other parts could be installing badly for other people.

So, it's a long shot, but maybe dropping back to the last version of the chipset drivers may go some way towards sorting the Max Payne 2 crashes, could be worth a try.

I will just repeat some obvious things and some things that I heard from other people.

• Check Temperatures
  • Check Voltages
  • Get new drivers
  • Run Prime95 for 24hours
  • Run memtest86 for 24 hours
  • Do windows updates
  • Reinstall the game

Also keep in mind that it could be a bad windows install too. Especially if you are installing it from a burned disk, that is a copy of a burned disk, that is a copy of a burned disk... and so on. (Of course you own the original! But for some reason you like to use the backups maybe because you have updates slipstreamed in)

Originally posted by st0nedpenguin

No idea if this will make a jot of difference, but I'll just throw it in here now as I've spent the last 20 minutes fighting with it myself.

So I decided to drop back to the last nVidia chipset driver release, ...

So, it's a long shot, but maybe dropping back to the last version of the chipset drivers may go some way towards sorting the Max Payne 2 crashes, could be worth a try.

ok, I will test this tonight, as I installed the 5.10 version of NVidia chipset drivers, but heard alot of references that the original 5.03 that shipped with the MB are more stable. I did not have any other issues, so i just ignored it until now.

does 3dmark03 run for you now or not?