SLOOOOW nforce PATA drivers (LPUT NF3-250)

I got past the memory problems I was having and installed XP Pro onto the SATA Raptor. I've also added a 200GB Seagate SATA HD and my old HP 200i DVD writer. Now I'm trying to set up the Nvidia MB drivers. For now I'm using the "5.03" drivers posted on the DFI website.

My first attempt forced a reboot when I clicked "Yes" in the "enable firewall" dialog. After that I was able to continue using Windows as before, but I noticed that the IDE was still using MS drivers and there was no AGP listing at all. Eventually I uninstalled everything and re-ran the Nforce setup. This time everything appeared to install properly.

The problem is that when the PATA controllers are enabled, HD access is *SLOW*. Windows takes well over 5 minutes to come up, and just opening a drive window can take at least as long. The system isn't locking up--as long as something is in RAM, it responds instantly. I can still move between windows, run solitaire, etc., while the drive window is nearly frozen.

I'm not really bad with computers, but I have very little XP setup experience and am still puzzling things out as I go. A few possible slowdown causes:

During my first attempt to install the Nforce drivers I ended up loading each IDE driver directly. The SATA driver loaded and ran fine, but I saw the exact same slowdown behavior when I added the first PATA driver.There are 2 CD-ROM devices on the primary IDE chain, the Samsung CD/DVD reader and the HP CD/DVD writer. Does the master need to become a slave on the secondary chain?

I've had some other compatibility issues with the HP (it was one of the earlier consumer models and might not be up to modern specs), but the slowdown persisted even with both drives BIOS-disabled (not unplugged) and only went away when I turned off the PATA controllers themselves. The HP still seems to get "forgotten" by the BIOS upon boot when it contains a CD; the Samsung doesn't.

Perhaps I should try the newer 5.10 driver pack from Nvidia? It's a large download for dial-up, and it didn't look like much had changed, but still....

Less likely: I haven't worked out how to properly set up and rely on the Windows firewall. I added ZoneAlarm to be on the safe side; with both of these already present, the Nforce firewall could be adding enough instability to throw off other parts of the system. I currently have the Nforce firewall driver installed but disabled. I also turned off ZA during the most recent Nforce install.

Finally, enough has changed since my last computer setup that I might simply be doing things in the wrong order or skipping necessary steps before running the Nforce setup. I haven't touched the RAID options--every drive is a unique entity, BIOS RAID options are disabled, and there are no RAID drivers in my hardware list. But any other "obvious" sources of conflict are beyond my knowledge at the moment. Go ahead and treat me like a novice. :)

My next steps will be to fiddle with the IDE cables & placement and test the 5.10 drivers. After that I'll have to dump the Nforce IDE and wait for some better advice from the rest of you. :)

Thanks in advance,

false_dmitrii

Guest culinist

As per the Sticky....

Basic order of loading software on fresh/new install:

1. Windows XP w/SP1a

- 1a. If you need LAN drivers to connect to internet, or modem drivers, please install ONLY the LAN/modem driver needed to connect.

2. WindowsUpdate Critical updates

3. check again for Critical updates, download, or if none, go to #4

4. chipset drivers - off your cd for Intel boards, 3.13 Nvidia NF2 chipset drivers

5. DirectX9b (can download from windowsupdate non-criticals)

6. Video Card Drivers (ATI/NVidia etc)

7. Audio card drivers/periphial drivers (printers, scanners etc)

8. Windows update for driver updates/non-criticals like WinMedia9 etc

9. Anti-Virus and other software

10. remember to CHECK FOR UPDATES WEEKLY! Windowsupdate, Norton/McAffee anti-virus, etc.

Originally posted by culinist

As per the Sticky....

Basic order of loading software on fresh/new install:

1. Windows XP w/SP1a

- 1a. If you need LAN drivers to connect to internet, or modem drivers, please install ONLY the LAN/modem driver needed to connect.

2. WindowsUpdate Critical updates

3. check again for Critical updates, download, or if none, go to #4

4. chipset drivers - off your cd for Intel boards, 3.13 Nvidia NF2 chipset drivers

5. DirectX9b (can download from windowsupdate non-criticals)

6. Video Card Drivers (ATI/NVidia etc)

7. Audio card drivers/periphial drivers (printers, scanners etc)

8. Windows update for driver updates/non-criticals like WinMedia9 etc

9. Anti-Virus and other software

10. remember to CHECK FOR UPDATES WEEKLY! Windowsupdate, Norton/McAffee anti-virus, etc.

Thanks. :) It looks like I had it about right. The only exception is my Audigy 2...I left its drivers in place when I reinstalled the Nforce set.

I narrowed the problem way down. The slowdown does *not* occur when only the HP DVD writer is connected, regardless of jumper setting, primary/secondary chain, or physical position on the cable. It *always* occurs when the Samsung drive is connected, regardless of settings or position. But it wasn't happening with the MS IDE drivers--it only affects the Nforce set.

The Samsung is a TS-H352A, one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-151-208&depa=0

Any ideas, anyone?

false_dmitrii

Originally posted by Angry_Games

is your XP install SP2? if its only SP1a then its not dx9c

It's SP2. I checked the DX version pretty early on--it's been 9c from the beginning. :)

Looks like this isn't a common issue. Time to check for new firmware and try the newer MB drivers.

Should I try installing the RAID drivers even though RAID is disabled?