Will This Work

Hey Guys, I will be building this system next week when all the parts come in. Please tell me what else I can do to get prepared for this build as far as bios updates? and ram install, which slots to use? CPU fan install? and also I am going to use the Raptor as system and an WD ATA133 80 gig for storage, will the SATA & IDE work together well?

DFI lanparty ut 250gb

CPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64

Thermaltake Venus 7+/ WILL THIS WORK?

Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2

HD 36GB|WD 10,000 WD360GD 8MB

ATI Radeon 9600SE

ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W Power Supply

CASE ANTEC|P-160WF ALUM SLV U2F

DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

Thanks Alot, Tracy Lowery

Originally posted by TMLAUDIO

Hey Guys, I will be building this system next week when all the parts come in. Please tell me what else I can do to get prepared for this build as far as bios updates? and ram install, which slots to use? CPU fan install? and also I am going to use the Raptor as system and an WD ATA133 80 gig for storage, will the SATA & IDE work together well?

DFI lanparty ut 250gb

CPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64

Thermaltake Venus 7+/ WILL THIS WORK?

Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2

HD 36GB|WD 10,000 WD360GD 8MB

ATI Radeon 9600SE

ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W Power Supply

CASE ANTEC|P-160WF ALUM SLV U2F

DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

Thanks Alot, Tracy Lowery

hello tracy, sorry for my tactness in the other thread, i meant nothing personal by it.

i know i responded at OC forums to this, but i though i would respond here to.

welcome to the forurms and to a64 :thup:

1. there are several bios updates availible here

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=2073

the primary problem with the new original bios, is that the tempature reading are way off, and you cant disable CPU thermal Trottleing(well you can, but it wont POST/boot) ;)

any of then should suite you fine, because you dont have a mobile cpu, and your ram shouldnt need over the stock 3.1vdimm.

2. cpu HSF install should be easy as pie :D , the venus 7 will work, and it just clips on. although, it will not yeild the best cooling, for an overclocked situation.

3. yes you may use sata, and IDE HDD's at the same time, without any issues

Is your CPU a Clawhammer(1m) or a Newcastle(512k)?

my only suggestion to you, as far as Overclocking goes, would be, that if you wish to get the most out of your processor, to upgade your HSF in the futur , and if your into gamings alot, consider a graphics card upgrade.:thup:

Good Luck with your soon to be A64 system

and feel free to post in here, for any other question your have

-Jess-

jess1313, Thanks for the quick response, I do have the clawhammer(1m). If not the Venus 7+ please tell me which cpu fan to use with my setup?

(my only suggestion to you, as far as Overclocking goes, would be, that if you wish to get the most out of your processor, to upgade your HSF in the futur ) Please tell me what you mean by HSF?

Thanks Again, Tracy Lowery

jess1313, Thanks for the quick response, I do have the clawhammer(1m). If not the Venus 7+ please tell me which cpu fan to use with my setup?

(my only suggestion to you, as far as Overclocking goes, would be, that if you wish to get the most out of your processor, to upgade your HSF in the futur ) Please tell me what you mean by HSF?

Thanks Again, Tracy Lowery

HSF = Heat Sink Fan.. :)

Im sure jess1313 will suggest these three as good cooling..

1- xp120

2- xp90

3- slk948U

I believe those are the top end heatsinks people are using..

Originally posted by THunDA

HSF = Heat Sink Fan.. :)

Im sure jess1313 will suggest these three as good cooling..

1- xp120

2- xp90

3- slk948U

I believe those are the top end heatsinks people are using..

you are correct thunda:nod:

any of these would make a good cooling solution, and i feel that if a good overclock is your goal, then you should stick to only these three.(unless u wish to use water cooling, or phasechance of course)

ah yes, clawhammer:D , do you by chance know if its a CG, or CO, rev(or have you ordered it yet?) if you have it altreadly, there are shoudl be a few lines of letters and #'s on the CPU, and i think its the last 2 letter in the top line. also if the place were you ordered it shows either the "model #" of the "OPN(ordered part Numbner" then it will be the last two letters in that #.

if the last two letters are

AR, then its a CG

if

AP, then is a CO

95% of the time the CG is better, its just a newer core rev. The CO, is limited to what command rate(a ram timing, that usually has a large enfuence on ram OC/performance) with the CO you can only use 1t

and withe CG, you can use 1t, or 2t command rate.

and it is the norm, of CG to clock higher, on the same Vcore/cooling than and CO will.

Hi, jess1313

(AR, then its a CG

if

AP, then is a CO)

Here are the nubers on the chip:

ADA3400AEP5AP (The CO Right?)

Also I was looking at Thermalright's web site, I think I will get the XP120, Do you have any suggestions on which fan to use with this? Is there a installation guide for the (DFI lanparty ut 250gb)?

Thanks, Tracy Lowery

Hi, jess1313

Here are the nubers on the chip:

ADA3400AEP5AP (The CO Right?)

Also I was looking at Thermalright's web site, I think I will get the XP120, Do you have any suggestions on which fan to use with this? Is there a installation guide for the (DFI lanparty ut 250gb)?

Thanks, Tracy Lowery

yes its a CO rev.

any high CFM 120mm would do nicely...

not sure if theres an installation guide anywhere, anyone got alink?

-Jess-

Hi jess1313,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help, I am not to happy about the CO rev. of my Clawhammer I will call Newegg to see if I can exchange for a CG rev. I hope they have one I mean after all of this to have a chip that dosen't overclock that well is very dissapointing, Also I have read about some people having problems installing the XP-120, Is there anyone else that has used this HSF without any problems?

Take Care, Tracy Lowery

Hi jess1313,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the help, I am not to happy about the CO rev. of my Clawhammer I will call Newegg to see if I can exchange for a CG rev. I hope they have one I mean after all of this to have a chip that dosen't overclock that well is very dissapointing, Also I have read about some people having problems installing the XP-120, Is there anyone else that has used this HSF without any problems?

Take Care, Tracy Lowery

humm. i would wait, and test your CPU first, if you have the time, it might suprise you.:nod:

-Jess-