no audio at all

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by trueplaya4ever8

After about 15 different attempts on messing with the jumpers, I had absolutely no luck. i am gonna try to bring it to a friends and see if they can help, if not mobo is goin back to newegg on monday.

I'm not sure we're referring to the same thing when we talk about 'jumpers'. Are you saying you tried to connect the wires that go to your front audio jack 15 different ways or did you put the plastic jumpers (designed to bridge pins) on 15 different ways?

Here is my best attempt at explaining....

There should be a pic of the audio connector in your manual with the pins numbered. It should look something like this--

Audiopins.jpg

Pins 9 & 10 and 5 & 6 (the ones labelled Aud Out & Aud In) need to be bridged for sound to come out of the rear audio jack. Your board should have come with two plastic jumpers bridging those pins. When you plugged in your front audio jack you probably took them off. Ideally when you attach your front audio jack it essentially acts as a long wire between the 2 pins..... with a headphone jack in the middle. The problem is that not all front audio jacks are designed to return the signal to the second pin. If the signal does not get to the second pin.... then it can't continue to the rear audio jack.

I would stop messing with the wires that go to your front audio jack for a while and put the plastic jumpers back on the board and then see if you have sound in the rear jack. If you do then you know your board is ok and then you can work on getting the front jack to work.

I hope this helps.

you mean those little plastic things that cover the pins, i dont recall having any on them when i installed it in the case.... is there something i can use as a quick replacement?

Yes, I mean the little plastic things. If you have some small wire, you could wrap it around the pins. You could probably modify a paperclip and make it work. The tension of the clip should help it stay on the pins. Do you have any old hard-drives around that you could steal a jumper from?

Basically, you want the 2 pins connected with metal of some sort... without touching any of the other pins.

Good Luck.

so i just get a paper clip and tie them up or solder wire or something?

thanks again

Your best bet is to go to your local computer store and buy some jumpers. But.... if you are just trying to find something to 'get you by' to see if it works.... a paperclip or some wire will probably do the trick. I would definitely NOT solder anything onto those pins.

Hopefully once you verify if the sound works with the jumpers in place you can see about getting your front audio jack working again.

Thanks, i am gonna try some of my friends and see if they have any. and i may run up to walmart and grab a temperary sound card if its still not workin, i dont wanna rma it waste like 2 or more weeks just to get it back and BAM school is here.

Anyways thanks alot, and i will let you kno if the jumpers work, if not i should rma it right, i have only had it for a week or 2.