nForce2 Tweaker V0.2 - Online

If your not familiar with Hex it might be a bit confusing to you at first, but its simple enough to use. On Nforce2's the options run from 1-15 for Drive Strengths and 1-15 for Slew Rates from what i've seen.

In Hex 0 to 9 =0 to 9 Decimal, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15.

Like i said, i've never changed Drive Strengths & Slew Rates in Windows and i'm wondering whether they were left it out of the nForce2 Tweaker for a reason... I don't think it'd be worth the risk for you tbh. It won't help your CPU overclock but can help your ram overclock, but then again, it doesn't for everyone and the potential gains aint that huge. The defaults seem pretty ideal for a lot of the ram i've seen anyway.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that tweaking of the strenght/slewe rates can improve either the O/C or the bandwitch. The bandwitch sounds nice, so maybe it is worth to tweak there a little? :)

Besides, I just learnet that the faster settings for the rams (7-12 instead of 9-12) really works. As my computer get faster bandwitch, the poping and cracking in Battlefield 2 that before happen only SOMETIMES, become consistent and permament addition to gameplay.

Damn Creative.

Now I think it is confirmed that it is actually the soundcard, that it holding me from O/C past 200Mhz FSB. Damn.

I tought that X-Fi might fix things, but no - hell, in fact, I just stumbled upon a whole bunch of guys, who pay almost 300$ for X-Fi Fatality card to get same problems with noise and poping I have! This is a cold shower for me, as it looks like these problem's aint "trodas specific", but more "creative specific" ... :rolleyes:

It is also wonderfull to see, that they believe that drivers fix it:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/bo...scending&page=1

What now? :rolleyes:

Shinobi, i dont undestand your Drive Strengths & Slew Rates MAP..

Drive Strengths & Slew Rates

Ram Function #4

60-05 = Drive Strength 1

60-07 = Drive Strength 2

70-0D = Drive Strength 3

60-04 = Skew Rate 1

60-06 = Skew Rate 2

70-0C = Skew Rate 3

Shinobi, sorry... i understand the meaning now :D

Offset 65, 67 and 7D for Drive Strenght

Offset 64, 66 and 0C for Skew Rate

Charlie22911, don`t worry. I tested with wpredit and dont have any problems.

And GUYS.. My problem was solved :D

After the changes, i have aleatory resets.. even dont having any erros in Memtest..

I changed Skew Rate from 4 to 2.. for all slots.. and my computer is now 100% stable :D

I have 2 Samsung 512MB F-TCCC Single Sided sticks...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys! :D

I managed to get over my audio issued when I run over 200Mhz FSB! Finally! :nod:

First - I noticed, that playing BF2 (Audigy2zs, high quality sound, HW render), sometimes (really only sometimes) I got cracks and stuff.

When I head this noise, it just means that the Vcore of my CPU need go one notch up to fix this.

I overclocked and even 100% stable prime-tested CPU simply don't have enought voltage to properly address the PCI devices sometimes, so that is where the cracks originated for me.

Sometimes, rerely, it happen even w/o overclocking - just using the default PC3200 clock - 200Mhz and in BF2 only. (seems like BF2 is the only one application ATM that stress my Audigy2zs noticably)

So I vent from 100% stable at all times 1.725Vcore to 1.750Vcore and never heard a sound problem ever since! :)

Highly recommended.

Playing with all the latency stuff, drivers, OS and vice versa - never solved a single issue. Even maxing out all voltages except CPU never helped - but this does help.

So, I broke the 200Mhz barrier - finally! Hooooray! :D

Sadly, 10 - 12h of 100% CPU load overheat my Vdimm PWM and crash come. 3,1V is probably too much for 2x512 MB, 2-2-2 and fanless case :rolleyes: :shake:

So I will have a silent computer only - not fast. But at least I can break 200Mhz, ha! I found the problem and killed it! :D

Well one example i can think of...

Change a setting too tight in the Bios and you end up with a no boot situation and possible bios corruption. Change it in Windows and from my experience it will just Bsod, and it will boot fine because you haven't set the setting in the bios.

Another example is its a lot easier to tweak and bench in Windows on the fly than having to keep rebooting, going into the bios, change the settings etc. Then once you've actually found the optimal setting in Windows, just change them in the bios.

Some nForce2 boards don't actually have the Alpha Timings in the bios(including some older Infinity & LanParty B bios') so using programs like nForce2 Tweaker and setting it to set those settings on each Windows boot is the only way they have of changing them.

I'd liek to addon to what Shinobi said a bit and say:

I tweak using wpcredit myself in windows, also in dos with my own code(I then int19 I think and soft boot into the win2k3 sp1 boot mgr thingy).

It's ALLWAYS best to wait a min before tweaking in windows.

Otherwise if you tweak to fast, screw somehting up and it bsod's, you will most likely run into file corruption from scanboot(I think it's called this, it's scandisc at bootup).

That thing allways kills the file it recovers if it find anything worong with it, beit a name or date or whatever.

The scary thing is, slightly offtopic, is when it see's indexing.

I del the indexes(Part of my normal tweaks but windows "registry" based and that sort of thing) on a buds drive and upgraded him from xp home to 2k3 srv.

Well after he went back to home it totally killed half his files trying to reindex them :.

Anyways that's what you have to watch out for, scandisk :.

Otherwise it's cool for the most part, not saying you may mess over a game install or something.

Also looking for register tweaks in windows is cool...

Trying out latency in windows is cool.

Trying out alpha timings can help while in windows....(I used memtest to test, all the way last time though)

Most normal mem settings could be tested by memtest though except cas and cpc(I think cpc is'nt there in memtest)(Alpha timings are'nt either but memtest is close by and worked good enough for testing).

Anyways it's either windows or dos before you add more settings into a bios.

The settings that are allready in the bios could be done form there but sometimes it's much much quicker to do them from windows or something else.

A somewhat safer way if you're into priming is to mod a ver of winpe, you actually don't need to mod it to run prime.

But you will need to mod it to run games and stuff if you wanted to do that.

That's xp or above that runs of either a dvd or a cd so no worries at least for windows lol.

Edit:

Drives and slews, reason might be why they're are'nt in that tweaker is because there is fakes for it...

I dn.

Anyways a big spam for you guys:

[64:7]=Slot 1 Slew Rate

[64:6]=(Same As Above)

[64:5]=(Same As Above)

[64:4]=(Same As Above)

[64:3]=(Same As Above)

[64:2]=(Same As Above)

[64:1]=(Same As Above)

[64:0]=(Same As Above)

[65:7]=Slot 1 Drive Strength

[65:6]=(Same As Above)

[65:5]=(Same As Above)

[65:4]=(Same As Above)

[65:3]=(Same As Above)

[65:2]=(Same As Above)

[65:1]=(Same As Above)

[65:0]=(Same As Above)

[66:7]=Slot 2 Slew Rate

[66:6]=(Same As Above)

[66:5]=(Same As Above)

[66:4]=(Same As Above)

[66:3]=(Same As Above)

[66:2]=(Same As Above)

[66:1]=(Same As Above)

[66:0]=(Same As Above)

[67:7]=Slot 2 Drive Strength

[67:6]=(Same As Above)

[67:5]=(Same As Above)

[67:4]=(Same As Above)

[67:3]=(Same As Above)

[67:2]=(Same As Above)

[67:1]=(Same As Above)

[67:0]=(Same As Above)

[70:7]=Slot 1 Slew Rate Fake?

[70:6]=(Same As Above)

[70:5]=(Same As Above)

[70:4]=(Same As Above)

[70:3]=(Same As Above)

[70:2]=(Same As Above)

[70:1]=(Same As Above)

[70:0]=(Same As Above)

[71:7]=Slot 1 Drive Strength Fake?

[71:6]=(Same As Above)

[71:5]=(Same As Above)

[71:4]=(Same As Above)

[71:3]=(Same As Above)

[71:2]=(Same As Above)

[71:1]=(Same As Above)

[71:0]=(Same As Above)

[72:7]=Slot 2 Slew Rate Fake?

[72:6]=(Same As Above)

[72:5]=(Same As Above)

[72:4]=(Same As Above)

[72:3]=(Same As Above)

[72:2]=(Same As Above)

[72:1]=(Same As Above)

[72:0]=(Same As Above)

[73:7]=Slot 2 Drive Strength Fake?

[73:6]=(Same As Above)

[73:5]=(Same As Above)

[73:4]=(Same As Above)

[73:3]=(Same As Above)

[73:2]=(Same As Above)

[73:1]=(Same As Above)

[73:0]=(Same As Above)

[7C:7]=Slot 3 Slew Rate

[7C:6]=(Same As Above)

[7C:5]=(Same As Above)

[7C:4]=(Same As Above)

[7C:3]=(Same As Above)

[7C:2]=(Same As Above)

[7C:1]=(Same As Above)

[7C:0]=(Same As Above)

[7D:7]=Slot 3 Drive Strength

[7D:6]=(Same As Above)

[7D:5]=(Same As Above)

[7D:4]=(Same As Above)

[7D:3]=(Same As Above)

[7D:2]=(Same As Above)

[7D:1]=(Same As Above)

[7D:0]=(Same As Above)

[80:7]=Slot 3 Slew Rate Fake?

[80:6]=(Same As Above)

[80:5]=(Same As Above)

[80:4]=(Same As Above)

[80:3]=(Same As Above)

[80:2]=(Same As Above)

[80:1]=(Same As Above)

[80:0]=(Same As Above)

[81:7]=Slot 3 Drive Strength Fake?

[81:6]=(Same As Above)

[81:5]=(Same As Above)

[81:4]=(Same As Above)

[81:3]=(Same As Above)

[81:2]=(Same As Above)

[81:1]=(Same As Above)

[81:0]=(Same As Above)

These are labled as:

CPU 3 2 1

instead of CPU 1 2 3, I label my slots backwards.

Also something diff to note, diff chip:

[90:4]=tRC X6ns 11111=31 10110=22 10111=23

[90:3]=10100=20 10101=21 10010=18 10011=19

[90:2]=1111=15 10000=16 10001=171100=12 1101=13 1110=14

[90:1]=1001=9 1010=10 1011=11 0110=6 0111=7 1000=8

[90:0]=0011=3 0100=4 0101=5 0000=0 0001=1 0010=2

[91:7]=tRAS BIT 1 X6ns 0000=0 0001=1

[91:4]=tRFC X6ns 11111=31 10110=22 10111=23

[91:3]=10100=20 10101=21 10010=18 10011=19

[91:2]=1111=15 10000=16 10001=171100=12 1101=13 1110=14

[91:1]=1001=9 1010=10 1011=11 0110=6 0111=7 1000=8

[91:0]=0011=3 0100=4 0101=5 0000=0 0001=1 0010=2

Not the tras, I got more of that :, but the tRC and tRFC, I got values here all the down, instead of being limited to a min of 9 in the bios.

Another edit : :

trodas, I like the way you cooled down some fo the mosfets by the memory and agp!

That's awesome :)(Defently gets me thinking :D ).

I dn like your old config with the stock nb cooler and that plate extending from it :, but it seems now it's water cooled.

I'm defently gonna have to look over this thread some more :).

OH! trodas.

I've had that same bug with AC3 playback!

Also used to get clicks long long ago but that's far in the past.

The ac3 playback thing happened witht he onboard sound too, so it's not your sound card...

I had to make yet another set of custom drivers for the sound card.

This set bsod's during install if you got windows mofdified, but if you install it before modding windows that much it will install wihtou probs.

This driver I have'nt had iassues with, but the previuos ver I made did have some serious probs, It really ticked me off.

It would play back fine for a few mins maybe and then go nuts like it was out of sink with the video, or the buffer overflowed/underflowed.

now the funny thing is that this was a dvd on disc, not on my hd and muxed from say dvd d*c*ypt*r.

So there was nothign wrong with it's time, sound length or video length...

Somehting odd I guess but I had to make a new driver to fix the issue.

I had the prob for like 2 weeks.

I plan on making a new driver soon, I dn like those bsod's....

I also want to pass it around someitme again in the future because I got rid of a few bugs, liek for instance I ran into the prob where one chan is offset in volume by stock without reverb, fixed too.

(The only prob I have now is those bsod's during install on a modified windows, and were some of the leds will stay lit up on the analizer sometimes for no reason).

• 2 months later...

Curse the damn SP2, curse them!!!

First - there you can download nForce2 tweaker, a usefull (highly) tool for professional (do NOT tweak if you don't know what you are doing!!!) overclockers:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/attachment.php?postid=379291

It does run on any chipset, just don't try the button Set, please.

As you can see, it is a zip archive and containing the IO.DLL file. Nothing wrong with it, just copy it to the system32 directory and it will run - except you are running on the damned XP SP2 crap.

Win2k SP2/3 and WinXP SP1 run fine, but SP2 complain:

IO.DLL_permission.gif

Well, Im admin and why in the name of God I can't run normal software, that is beyond my understanding. Can anyone enlighten me, how to make THIS work? :confused:

I understand that it probably require some tweaking of the security settings, but hey - what to do? I don't like the idea of installing XP SP1 just to make it work, so I hope someone can help me to archive the goal quicker.

Thanks for helpfull responses - and if some explaination WHY this is happening will be done - the better.

PS. I tried register the dll:

regsvr32 windownssystem32IO.DLL

...but it does not work/help at all...

It is weird, I know, but I can't manage it working, no matter what I do :(

(for the first time, of course...)

I even delete the IO.DLL from the win directory (tried system32 and windows only dirs) and still NO LUCK. Allways and all the damn time - this stupid message about provilegies.

Any help, or I just have to resintall the SP2 crap to SP1a???

(it is clean SP2, no more updates...) :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mmmmkay, accorfing to the M$, the 'Data Execution Prevention' could be easily disabled when moding the Boot.ini file like this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Set the /noexecute=AlwaysOff into the Boot.ini, however the problem persist.

Still is says that IO.SYS is present, but the driver cannot connect to and EPrivilege :mad:

Damn with this stuff. So, it is reinstall of the SP2 crap the only one solution? Already it survived a vires attack, so the SP2 has some advantages, after all... XP SP1.0a machines as well, as w2k ones get infected :(

Anyone...???

PS. NEOAethyr - we have to talk about the audio bugses more, mate. I can't get rid of them :rolleyes: I tried the YouPack drivers and they seems faster/smaller/better, yet now the pause bug on movie during playback result in 100% repeatable terrible ughly noise on unpause. No other problems so far.

PS2. could the autor of nForce2 tweaker release the source code, so it will work on WinXP SP2 crap w/o problems at the startup? And maybe allow even lower values for the latency? And maybe NEOAethyr could add the data sleeve rate there too?